Cold, rainy days call for the warmth and comfort of Creamy Gnocchi Mushroom Soup. Made with sun dried tomatoes, thyme and yogurt. You are 30 minutes away from this hearty dinner tonight.
It has been a crazy rainy week here in Southern California. We have had flash floods, tornado warnings (yep, that one was a shocker), hail, lightening, thunderstorms and to top it off, an earthquake. I also have been coughing, sniffling, and blowing my nose for what has felt like an eternity. I needed a warm, soothing comfort food and I needed it STAT. Gnocchi has been sounding so good to me to me lately, so with all this I created this Creamy Gnocchi Mushroom Soup lightened up just a bit from the traditional cream based soups.
If you have never had gnocchi before then you are in for a treat. They are like fluffy little potato dumplings and yet kind of like a noodle also. Gnocchi can be a very fun variation over traditional pasta and a big part of what brought the comfort factor into this Creamy Gnocchi Mushroom Soup.
This recipe has a some what basic roux, but rather than using heavy cream or half and half, I used 1 cup of milk and 6 oz of plain greek tempered yogurt. It hit the spot just the same as a full fat creamy soup would.
You know what made this Creamy Gnocchi Mushroom Soup even better? A dollop of my Toasted Walnut Pesto on top.
Enjoy this Creamy Gnocchi Mushroom Soup!
For some of my other favorite comfort food recipes check out:
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lg portabello mushrooms
- 10 oz sliced crimini or button mushrooms
- 3 oz sun dried tomatoes in a bag
- ¼ cup sherry or dry white wine
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 small brown onion *diced
- 3 cloves garlic *diced or crushed
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp marjoram *optional, add a little extra thyme if not used
- 3¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk *fat % of your choosing
- 6 oz container plain greek yogurt
- 16 oz container gnocchi
- With a wet paper towel clean portobello mushrooms and cut into large chunks, about the size of the gnocchi. Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat and sauté both mushrooms until they begin to sweat about 4-5 mins. Add sun dried tomatoes, wine and ¼ cup of the chicken broth. Simmer until tomatoes are soft, about another 4-5 mins. Take off heat and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan melt butter over med/high heat. Add diced onion & sauté until soft and lightly golden brown. Add garlic and herbs, sauté for another minute. Add flour and whisk consistently, cooking for an additional 2 mins. It will look like a thick and clumpy paste at this point. Slowly pour in remaining 3 cups chicken broth and milk. Continue whisking and bring to a boil. Once boiling add gnocchi and mushrooms. Simmer for 4 minutes or until gnocchi is cooked, making sure to stir a few times. While soup is simmering, temper yogurt with hot liquid from soup. Once gnocchi is fully cooked, take off of heat and stir in yogurt.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe is part of Meal Plan Monday.