Strawberry Lemon Yum Cups are 50% candy, 50% pie and 100% delicious. A lemon cheesecake filling sits nestled in strawberry white chocolate cups, all topped with whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Nobody can stop at one.
Thank God for family!…I had the idea for these Strawberry Lemon Yum Cups rolling around in my head for awhile now but when I went to do the trial run I was so confused by what was in my head verses what I produced. My idea didn’t quite match up to the end product. You know that feeling when you have been too close to something for awhile and you get to that point that you don’t even know if what you are working on is worth the time and energy? Long story short, My cousin Niki saved me from the abyss that I was falling into. She is a phenomenal baker and when she taste tested these and said she really liked them I felt a huge relief. With her wisdom and guidance we made just a few small changes and with that I couldn’t contain my joy about these little beauties. Not only are these half candy/half pie’s absolutely beautiful, they are unlike anything I have tasted before. In other words absolutely DIVINE!!! The shell is kind of crunchy because of the strawberry seeds and yet smooth because of the white chocolate. The filling is creamy with the refreshing flavor of lemon curd and the fluffy whipped topping with fresh strawberry slice is the icing on top of the sundae.
Tips about Strawberry Lemon Yum Cups:
- Trader Joes has dehydrated strawberries relatively affordable. I used the organic brand Natierra, Nature’s All Foods Freeze-Dried Strawberries through Amazon. (affiliate)
- Grinding the strawberries in a food processor (love Cuisinart) is just so much easier. Another option for grinding is a mortar and pestle. (affiliate)
- I cheated when melting the white chocolate and used the old ‘bowl over the top of a pan’ to replace the double broiler. If you feel more comfortable using a double broiler here is a very popular version. (affiliate)
- These silicon muffin cups are what I used to mold the strawberry white chocolate cup but you will need the larger pack as this recipe makes 16-20 cups. (affiliate)
- If you want the edges of your strawberry cups to be smooth use a small decorating brush. It helps immensely. If you don’t have the brushes, fear not, I have used a small spoon to spread the chocolate and it turned out just as cute. (affiliate)
- One last tip, I absolutely adore my KitchenAid Immersion Blender for many purposes, but whipping cream with it is quick and incredibly easily. (affiliate)
- Strawberry White Chocolate Cups
- 11 oz bag good quality white chocolate chips
- 1.2 oz bag freeze dried strawberries
- Lemon Filling
- 2 lg lemons
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 lg eggs + 1 yolk
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 8 oz cream cheese *softened to room temp
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 pint fresh strawberries *optional
- Miscellaneous Items
- nonstick spray
- 20 silicon muffin cups
- For the Cups- Place dehydrated strawberries in a food processor and process to powder form. Fill the bottom of a double broiler with water and place on low heat. Place white chocolate chips & strawberry powder in the top of double broiler. When chocolate begins to melt begin stir & continue until chocolate is fully melted & incorporated with strawberry, about 7-8 mins.
- Spray silicon muffin cups lightly with a nonstick spray. Add approximately 1 tbsp of melted chocolate mixture to each cup. Using a small spoon or small brush spread chocolate over bottoms of cup and halfway up sides. Place in refrigerator until hardened, about 30 mins.
- For the Filling
- Using a vegetable peeler remove zest of lemons making sure to avoid pith (white part) as much as possible. Add zest and sugar to a food processor and blend until lemon zest is finely minced. In a separate bowl cream butter. Add sugar mixture and cream again. Beat in 1 egg and yolk at a time. Mix in lemon juice and salt. Pour mixture into a medium sized pot and place over low heat. Stir consistently and cook until just before a simmer (170℉), about 10 mins. Remove from heat and chill until at least room temperature.
- In a separate bowl whip cream cheese until smooth. Working in batches add lemon curd to cheese mixture. Mix thoroughly. Spoon mixture into chocolate cups.
- For the Topping
- Place whipping cream and sugar into chilled container and whip until stiff peaks form, about 7-8 mins. Spoon or pipe over lemon filling and top with 1 strawberry slice.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Can last covered up to 2 days but is best on 1st day.
This recipe is part of Meal Plan Monday