Chunky Apple Caramel Cake recipe has multiple textures that makes this baked treat feel similar to an apple fritter. A buttery caramel topping is poured over the chunky apples and walnuts making it a favorite Fall dessert.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
The last couple of weeks have been difficult with all the happenings in the world but all I can say is that this Chunky Apple Caramel Cake was like getting a warm, loving hug during it all.
It is definitely comfort on a plate with its ooey gooey caramel topping, crunchy walnuts and baked apple pieces.
We have made this several times and each time my husband declares, “you people are going to make my clothes not fit” but then very happily digs in.
Here is the thing, this cake is what you bake when you don’t worry about calories for a few days.
It very much feels like what you make when you want your home to feel warm and cozy.
When curling up on the couch with your most comfy clothes and eating a slice with a cup of tea or coffee is the order of the day.
Tips about Chunky Apple Caramel Cake:
- I highly suggest using a 8 inch spring form pan because it just makes serving so much easier compared to using a regular cake pan. Also, spring form pans are tall enough that the apple pieces and walnuts stay in place on top of the cake. (affiliate)
- I adore my fine mesh colander for not only sifting flour but washing & straining veggies, draining noodles, etc. (affiliate)
- Make sure to use Greek yogurt with any fat% of your choosing. Regular yogurt will have too much water and can cause issues with the cake batter.
- I used walnut halves for the apple walnut topping because I love the crunch. I don’t believe walnut pieces will hold up as well. If you choose to eliminate the walnuts all together adjust your baking time accordingly and keep a watchful eye on the cake at around the 35 min marker.
- The amount of caramel from this Chunky Apple Walnut Caramel Cake will yield enough for the top of the cake and a little extra for individual slices.
- This is my favorite go to oil for both baking and high heat and this is why I love it so much. (affiliate)
Chunky Apple Caramel CakePrint Pin Rate
Apples & Walnut Topping
- 2 med apples *about 2 1/2 cups peeled & diced
- 3 tbsp brown sugar *packed
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 heaping cup walnut halves
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar *packed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and spray an 8 inch spring form pan with non stick spray.
- Apple & Walnut Topping
- In a medium sized bowl mix together ingredients for apple and walnut topping. Set aside.
- In a separate large sized bowl sift together dry ingredients for the cake. Stir in spices. Set aside.
- In another large sized bowl thoroughly mix together yogurt, eggs, oil and sugar. Pour into flour mixture for cake and mix until just incorporated. Pour into springform pan and evenly spread batter with bowl scraper. Pour apple and walnut mixture evenly over top of cake.
- Bake for 80-90 mins or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool until just above room temperature.
- While cake is cooling add brown sugar, butter and milk to a small saucepan and place over medium/low heat. Stirring occasionally bring to a gentle boil for 2 full mins. Take off heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool slightly to almost room temperature still stirring occasionally.
- Once cake has cooled just above room temperature pour desired amount of caramel over cake reserving extra for slices. Serve while still warm. Store at room temperature loosely covered.
For other deliciously decadent desserts check out these recipes: