A few days ago I pulled a chuck roast out of the freezer to make a soup recipe that I am currently working on. It took about two days before I realized that I wouldn’t have all the ingredients I needed for the soup right away I was left in a quandary with what to do with the roast. I wasn’t in the mood for burritos or tacos and that was when my husband suggested I create this Crockpot Beef Asian Lettuce Wraps recipe. He recently had Asian lettuce wraps while traveling and fell in love with them. Honestly, that didn’t surprise me because he loves all things Asian. Knowing that this would make him a happy camper I took all my favorite Asian flavors to make these wraps along with my Simple Asian Slaw. Let me tell you, I am so glad he talked me into making this because it was refreshing, delicious and total comfort food.
Tips about Crockpot Beef Asian Lettuce Wraps:
- Use a more well marbled cut of meat like chuck roast. If leaner cut is used the chances of the meat drying out and possibly burning are higher.
- Cut the roast into about 1 inch strips before placing in the crockpot. This will allow all the flavor of the sauce to get down into the nook and crannies.
- As a thickener I recommend using either Organic Corn Starch or arrowroot. Both work beautifully to create a gorgeous sauce to drizzle on top of these Crockpot Beef Asian Lettuce Wraps. (affiliate)
- Omit the brown rice for a low-carb feast.
- To complete the meal top these Crockpot Beef Asian Lettuce Wraps with my Simple Asian Slaw.
Crockpot Beef Asian Lettuce Wraps
- 2 lb chuck roast *or a cut with higher fat marbling
- For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce *tamari for gluten free
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey or agave
- 3-4 garlic cloves *minced or crushed
- 2-3 inch piece of ginger *peeled & grated
- 2 tsp garlic chili paste
- 2 tbsp arrowroot or corn starch
- 10 medium romaine lettuce leaves
- 2-2 1/2 cups precooked brown rice *optional
- Simple Asian Slaw recipe
Cut roast in 1 inch strips and place into crockpot. Thoroughly mix together all sauce ingredients and pour over beef strips. Cook on medium for 5 hours and then shred into large chunks. Stir and then spoon out desired amount of sauce.
Wash & dry lettuce leaves. Arrange on plates or platters with approximately 1/4 cup rice in each leaf. Add desired amount of beef to each leaf, drizzle with desired amount of sauce and top with Simple Asian Slaw.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.*
This recipe is part of Meal Plan Monday.