My husband text me from the road yesterday telling me that I had ruined him for food and that the Mexican food he was currently eating was the equivalent of Chinese food from a can. That made me giggle as I was preparing this Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos recipe this morning.
I have always been big about flavor and I have successfully converted him to a flavor man. He did a little protesting in the beginning of our marriage, but the garlic, spices and deep rich flavors that I often use, won him over to the dark side (insert evil laugh).
There is no surprise that these Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos are full of flavor. The best part of all is that this recipe is perfect for the back to school rush when you want to still have a wonderful home cooked meal and you are short on time. The prep work for the chicken meat took about 15 minutes and much of it can be done the night before.
The two secret ingredients for the chicken that will make your mouth do a tap dance is the fresh squeezed orange juice and the diced tomatillos. Tomatillos are a glorious fruit that look like little green tomatoes. They have husks on the outside and this is what they look like precleaning.
To clean them, peel the husks off and wash the sticky coating off. Once cleaned, they are bright, shiny and cute as a button.
The jalapeño, onion, and garlic add the savory and spice. Using 1 jalapeño is very mild. To kick it up a few notches add 2 or more peppers of your choosing.
As a warning, 10 minutes into cooking the smell will start to drive you crazy and if you are home while this is cooking you will be tortured ALLLL DAAAAY LOOOONG.
Once the meat is cooked, the shredding is done very easily with two forks. Once shredded, salt and pepper to taste.
Cooking your tortilla on the gas burner will, you guessed it, add more flavor.
The kicker that makes this meal oh so yummy is adding Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing as a finishing touch. You will have slightly sweet, definitely savory and oh so fresh tacos to celebrate back to school.
Enjoy these Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos and happy learning!!
Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 2-2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1-1 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice *approximately 3 juicy oranges
- 8 to matillos
- 1 med brown onion
- 1 jalapeño
- 4 lg cloves garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 1/2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 med white onion for garnish
- 2 small tomatoes for garnish
- 1 bunch cilantro for garnish
- Mexican Cotija cheese for garnish
- corn tortillas
- Crockpot Chicken-Layer chicken in the bottom of a crockpot. Measure spices and sprinkle on top of chicken. Peel and wash tomatillos. Dice and layer on top of chicken. Peel and dice onion into strips. Add to chicken. Cut jalapeño into chunks and add to chicken. Peel and crush garlic, add to crockpot. Wash and squeeze juice from oranges. Pour into crockpot. Cook on low for 8 hours, medium for 6 hours and high for 4 hours. Once chicken is cooked, pull from crockpot and shred with two forks. Salt and pepper meat to taste. Add additional juice to shredded meat if needed.
- Assembly of Tacos- Using tongs, heat tortillas on top of gas burner for 30 sec to 1 min per side depending on thickness of tortilla. Layer meat, onions, cilantro and tomatoes and in corn tortillas.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.*
To pack tacos with even more flavor, add Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing as a finishing touch. See link above for recipe.