Italian Sausage Breakfast Sandwiches are a vacation from mundane mornings with pesto mayo, creamy mozzarella, Homemade Italian Sausage and a few other savory fixings. Rise and shine to this tasty breakfast creation.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
Recently while making Homemade Italian Sausage for my family’s Classic Spaghetti Sauce recipe I was seduced by the heavenly aromas coming from my frying pan. The sweet smell of fennel danced with garlic and immediately made me realize that I just do not utilize our Homemade Italian Sausage recipe enough. That is where my mind started wondering and it’s first stop was this Italian Sausage Breakfast Sandwich. It was so much fun coming up with the flavor combinations. The best part, the smell of the sausage patties frying immediately brought my husband out of the office and to my side telling me how wonderful it smelled. I am in love with the idea that we now have a new make-ahead sandwich that will make our mornings brighter.
Tips about Italian Sausage Breakfast Sandwiches:
- I highly recommend to make your Italian sausage for these sandwiches over buying pre-made sausage using my Homemade Italian Sausage recipe. It really is easier than it seems and the beauty is you have control over what the sausage is made of. Making the sausage at home basically involves having the butcher grind your cut of meat, adding the spices, mixing and then forming the meat in patties.
- Once you make the Italian sausage, form patties by using about 1/4 cup of the meat and then cook all the patties. They can keep safely in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You also can freeze the cooked patties and defrost as needed. To defrost either refrigerate over night or use the defrost setting on your microwave for 1- 1 1/2 minutes.
- For these Italian Sausage Breakfast Sandwiches you can use English muffins, bagels, flat breads or a gluten free variety. Just make sure to personalize it to your taste preferences.
- I can’t even begin to tell you how delicious adding the pesto mayo is. To make it, combine a little pesto and a little mayo, it is that easy. I love making a big batch of my Toasted Walnut Pesto and then freezing the extras in ice cubes trays. I can then pull out just what I need for recipes throughout the upcoming months.
- Use either roasted red bell peppers or sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil. Both of these add incredible flavor but just make sure to drain off extra liquid with paper towels from both.
- I love low stress mornings so here is MY FAVORITE OF ALL TIME TIPS, make this sandwich the night before for a super quick and easy morning. It is amazing how much easier the day is when you don’t feel stretched thin in the morning. Having breakfast already made helps immensely.
Italian Sausage Breakfast Sandwiches
- 1 tsp pesto *see link above for recipe
- 2 tbsp mayo
- Homemade Italian Sausage recipe
- 2 English muffins *toasted
- 4 slices roasted red peppers
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes *in oil
- 2 slices mozzarella
- 2 lg eggs
- 2 tsp of cream for egg *optional
- salt & pepper to taste
- garnish with basil leaves *optional
- For the Pesto Mayo- Mix together pesto and mayonnaise. Store in an air tight container.
- For the Sandwich - Measure 1/4 cup of meat for each patty from Homemade Italian Sausage recipe (see link above) and form all patties. Preheat a large frying over med/high heat and fry sausage patties for 5-7 minutes per side or until well browned and reaches an internal temperature of 160℉. Transfer patties to paper towel lined plate to drain excess grease.
- Working with 1 egg at a time, break egg into bowl and whisk with 1 tsp cream, salt and pepper. Spray a small frying pan with non-stick cooking spray and place over med/high medium heat. Add egg, swirl pan to evenly distribute egg and let cook for 1-2 mins or until sides of egg begin to firm and egg is no longer runny. Gently flip with spatula and cook for 1 additional min.
- While egg is cooking toast English muffin to desired doneness. Apply mayo, egg, sausage, cheese and veggies.
- Repeat for second sandwich.