Homemade Vodka Sauce
This Homemade Vodka Sauce with your favorite pasta is a great date night meal or easy weeknight dinner. Full of the the rich flavors of San Marazano tomatoes along with vodka and cream makes this an irresistible dish.
Servings 6 servings
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lg brown onion *diced, about 2 cups
- 6 cloves garlic *roughly diced, about 2 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 1- 28oz can San Marazano tomatoes
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup pasta water
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese *plus extra for garnish
- 15 basil leaves *torn and added at the end
- 1 lb pasta *of choice
For the Sauce
Over medium heat sauté onion and garlic until sweating and just starting to become clear, about 5-7 mins.
Add in chili pepper flakes and tomato paste, stirring consistently. Cook until tomato paste just starts to stick to the bottom of the pan, about 2-3 mins.
Add in vodka and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes or until most of vodka has cooked off.
Add canned tomatoes, using a spatula to break them apart. Bring to a simmer over med heat and then cook for about 5-7 mins.
Remove a 1/4 cup of salted pasta water and temper half and half with pasta water. Gently stir in half and half to vodka sauce. Bring to a simmer still over medium heat and cook for 5 mins.
Stir in parmesan and torn basil leaves.
Add pasta to sauce and gently stir. Garnish with additional parmesan.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.
**Inspired by Bon Appétit
- To make heavily salted water for the pasta use an 8 quart stockpot filled 3/4's of the way full. Once the water is boiling add approximately 1/2 cup sea salt. This one step shocks everyone but it is truly how chefs do it.
- Since stovetops vary in the intensity of heat they produce, timing may vary.
- For an extra rich Vodka Sauce use heavy cream.
Calories: 498kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 372mg | Potassium: 316mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 412IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 255mg | Iron: 1mg