Mediterranean Risoni Salad (Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad)
Light and fresh, this Mediterranean Risoni Salad (Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad) is loaded with flavor and healthy veggies. Great as a side dish for potlucks or family dinners. Add your favorite protein for a complete meal.
Servings 16 servings
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice *about 2 juicy lemons
- 5-6 cloves garlic *crushed
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 16 oz orzo pasta
- 1/2 med red onion *diced, about 3/4 cup
- 2 small English cucumbers *diced, (or 6 small Persian cucumbers diced)
- 16 oz tear drop tomatoes *cut in half, (or cherry tomatoes)
- 1 lg yellow or orange bell pepper *diced
- 1 16 oz can green olives *cut in halves, see Best Tips for Making Risoni Salad section above
- 10 oz feta *crumbled or cubed
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling season heavily with salt and cook risoni (orzo) following instructions on the package.
Meanwhile whisk together ingredients for vinaigrette in a large mizing bowl.
Drain risoni and toss with vinaigrette. Place in refrigerate to cool while preparing veggies, making sure to stir risoni occasionally.
Prepare veggies. Once risoni has cooled to room temperature, toss in veggies and let chill in refrigerator before serving (about 1 hour).
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.
The lemon juice in this recipe creates a very zippy and bright tasting pasta salad. For a little less tang, lower the lemon juice to 1/3 cup and exchange feta cheese for a more mild cheese such as mozzarella.
Calories: 226kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 278mg | Potassium: 207mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 260IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 1mg