Italian Chicken Zucchini Boats
Italian Chicken Zucchini Boats with shredded chicken, easy Pomodoro sauce and creamy mozzarella cheese. This is such a satisying meal when doing the low carb diet or a sneaky way to get kids to eat their veggies.
Servings 12 servings
- 6 med zucchini *about 3-3 1/2 lbs
- 2-2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 oz whole milk low moisture mozzarella *grated, approximately 2 cups
- 1 med brown onion *diced, about 1 cup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic *about 4-6 lg garlic cloves
- 1 28 oz can San Marazano tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh oregano *or 2 tbsp dried
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh basil (about 3 sprigs) *or 2 tbsp dried
- sea salt & pepper *to taste
Heat a large frying pan over medium/high heat. Add oil and onions. Sauté until onions begin to soften, about 3 mins. Add garlic and continue sautéing for another 2 mins. Note: If using dried herbs add them in at the same time as the garlic. Raise heat to high and add in canned tomatoes along with juice. Using a spatula break apart tomatoes into large chunks. Simmer for 7-8 mins,stirring frequently. Add in fresh herbs the last few minutes of simmering. Take off heat and stir in shredded chicken.
Preheat oven to 350℉.
Wash and trim stems of zucchini.
Carefully cut zuchini in half lengthwise.
Using the egde of a large soup spoon scrape the inner seeds form zucchini halves leaving a hollow space running the length of the zucchini.
Spray a large roasting/lasagna pan with healthy cooking spray and line pan with zucchini halves, hollow side facing up.
Fill each zucchini half evenly with shredded chicken and Pomodoro sauce mixture.
Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake for 30 mins or until zucchini reaches desired doneness.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.
- 2 roasting pans will be needed if large lasagna pan is not available.
- Sauce and chicken can be prepared earlier in the day or the day before for a quick dinner.
- Leftovers make great lunches or can be frozen for a quick & easy dinner at a later date.
Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 138mg | Potassium: 319mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 374IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 202mg | Iron: 1mg