Rustic Tuscan style Chicken Stew using fresh veggies, white wine and plenty of flavor. Serve over brown rice for a healthy and comforting home cooked meal.
Servings 6 servings
- 3-3 1/2 lbs chicken legs & thighs
- salt & pepper *for chicken pieces
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 2 small carrots diced *diced, about 1 cup
- 3 stalks celery *diced, about 1 1/2 cup
- 1 med onion *diced, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary *chopped, see below for dried amounts
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 8-10 cloves garlic *crushed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 16 oz grape or cherry tomatoes *left whole
- 16 oz white button mushrooms *left whole
- 8 oz bag baby spinach
Lightly salt and pepper all sides of chicken pieces and coat with flour.
Heat oil in an enamled cast iron pan over med/high heat. Working in batches sear chicken until lightly browned, about 4 mins per side. Remove chicken and set aside.
Keep dutch oven over the same heat and add chili pepper flakes, onions, celery and carrots. Sauté until slightly softened, about 6-8 mins stirring occasionally.
To the pan add herbs and tomato paste. Stir and continue cooking for 1-2 mins. Add garlic and cook for an additional min.
Stir in wine and lower heat to low. Add in chicken, tomatoes and mushrooms. Cover and cook on low heat for approximately 1 hour, making sure to stir occasionally.
Add in spinach, stir and cook for an addittional 5 mins. Serve over brown cooked rice.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.
- The secrets to searing chicken is to let the pan heat with the oil. You know it is hot enough if when you place the tip of the chicken into the pan you hear a sizzle. Once you add the chicken pieces do not attempt to move until the chicken no longer sticks to the pan. At this point it is ready to turn.
- If fresh rosemary is unavailable grind dried rosemary either using a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder and use 1/2 tbsp. If the dried rosemary is older and not as fragrant, a full tbsp will be needed.
- Before adding the dried oregano to the pan rub it between the palm of your hands to help release the oils.
- Since carrots add a subtle sweetness to the stew they may be removed.
- If using fresh fennel eliminate the dried fennel.
Calories: 519kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 205mg | Potassium: 1108mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 7062IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 4mg