Mom's Old Fashioned Corn Bread
This classic cornbread recipe is fluffy, moist and slightly sweet. The secret- this recipe has an addittional egg that helps keep the corn bread from falling apart.
Keyword Corn Bread, Cornbread Recipe, Easy Cornbread Recipe
Prep Time 10 minutes minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes minutes
Servings 12 servings
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups corn meal
- 1/3 cup sugar *or honey
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil *see notes below
- 2 lg eggs *lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 400℉ and grease a 10 inch cast iron skillet with 2 tbsp additional oil.
In a large mixing bowl combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
Combine milk, oil and eggs in a small bowl. Mix well.
Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until blended.
Pour batter into prepared skillet and bake for 20-25 mins or until golden brown. An inserted cake tester into the center should come out clean when corn bread is done.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.
- I used avocado oil for this recipe as it is often my choice as a healthy option for baking and cooking. However, olive oil may be used also.
- If using honey in place of sugar, mix with wet ingredients rather than the dry ingredients.
- An 8x8 inch square baking sheet may be used in place of a cast iron skillet.
Calories: 202kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 145mg | Potassium: 100mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 33IU | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 1mg