Mom's Old Fashioned Corn Bread
This classic cornbread recipe is fluffy, moist and slightly sweet. The secret- this recipe has an addittional egg that helps keep the corn bread from falling apart.
Servings 12 servings
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups corn meal
- 1/3 cup sugar *or honey
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil *see notes below
- 2 lg eggs *lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 400℉ and grease a 10 inch cast iron skillet with 2 tbsp additional oil.
In a large mixing bowl combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
Combine milk, oil and eggs in a small bowl. Mix well.
Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until blended.
Pour batter into prepared skillet and bake for 20-25 mins or until golden brown. An inserted cake tester into the center should come out clean when corn bread is done.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.
- I used avocado oil for this recipe as it is often my choice as a healthy option for baking and cooking. However, olive oil may be used also.
- If using honey in place of sugar, mix with wet ingredients rather than the dry ingredients.
- An 8x8 inch square baking sheet may be used in place of a cast iron skillet.
Calories: 202kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 145mg | Potassium: 100mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 33IU | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 1mg