Tarragon Chicken Salad
Tarragon Chicken Salad is a fun, healthy and quick meal for an easy dinner or as a packed work lunch. This recipe has the perfect balance of sweet to savoriness and crunch to chewiness. Definitely a favorite for anyone who loves fennel.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts *about 2 breasts, 2 cups shredded
- 1/2 cup diced celery *about 1-2 stalks
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds *toasted or non-toasted
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup avocado mayonaise *or healthy mayo of choice
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried tarragon *or 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 bunch fresh chives *chopped, about 1/2 cup
Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a large pot. Cover with water 1 inch above chicken breasts. Bring a boil over high heat. Once boiling lower to a simmer and cook for 10-12 mins or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165℉.
Transfer cooked chicken onto a large plate. Using 2 forks pull chicken creating bite sized chicken pieces. (Shred chicken immediately after cooking for easier shredding. Be cautious not to use hands to prevent burning.)
Lay shredded chicken out flat on plate and salt and pepper. Stir Well and let cool in refrigerator while preparing other ingredients.
Meanwhile chop celery and chives. Set aside.
In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together mayo, mustard, garlic powder, tarragon and lemon juice. Stir in chooped chives.
Remove chicken from refigerator once it is cool enough to touch. Add to chicken sunflower seeds, celery, raisins and dressing. Stir well. Add addittional salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Chill until needed.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.
- Avocado mayonnaise can be replaced with mayo of choice or Greek yogurt.
- Golden raisins can be replaced with regular raisins, dried cranberries, grapes or diced apples.
- Sunflower seeds can be replaced with pecan, walnuts or almonds.
- Celery can be replaced with diced red onion.
- It is very common when boiling chicken breasts to have a layer of foam that is created. There is nothing wrong with the chicken if this happens. Just simply use a large spoon to remove foam if it is bothersome.
Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 578mg | Potassium: 702mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 152IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg