This homemade Tarragon Chicken Salad recipe has shredded chicken, a savory dressing, golden raisins and the fresh licorice taste of tarragon. With great textures and easy preparation, this salad is perfect for packed work lunches or simple dinners.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
Have you ever felt like you have gotten stuck in a rut with meal planning?
Even for somebody like myself who eats, breaths and lives food, it can be easy to get stuck in that rut.
Catch me on a week when stress levels are high and I haven’t had any downtime to properly plan and man oh man, all I can think of to eat is Mac and Cheese and steak.
As I am sure you can tell, Comfort food is my jam when stress is high.
However, every night can’t be a mac and cheese night if I hope to fit into my jeans.
Because of this, one of my missions is to create fun, healthy and easy 30 min or under meals like this Tarragon Chicken Salad.
Not only does this Chicken Salad come together quickly, it also works beautifully as a packed work lunch or as a light dinner.
However you choose to use this recipe, it is sure to help eliminate the meal planning rut.
What Does Tarragon Taste Like?
Tarragon is an herb that is featured in many chicken and fish recipes. It is often described as having a licorice taste and is often compared to anise and fennel. If you have never tasted tarragon or if your prone to not like black licorice, then you may be wrinkling your nose at the moment. Something to keep in mind, if you enjoy pickles, Italian sausage and vinegar, chances are good you will adore tarragon.
In addition, when combined with other ingredients that enhance and compliment tarragon’s flavor, eating it becomes extremely enjoyable.
Tarragon Chicken Salad Recipe Ingredients
Included in this recipe are ingredients that help compliment tarragon’s savory and slightly sweet flavor. As always with my savory recipes, please feel free to adjust according to individual taste preferences.
- Lemon Juice
- Healthy Avocado Mayonnaise
- Garlic Powder
- Dijon Mustard
- Fresh Chives
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Sunflower Seeds
- Golden Raisins
How to Make Homemade Shredded Chicken Salad
- Place boneless skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of a large pot.
- Cover with water 1 inch above chicken breasts. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook for 10-12 mins or until reaches internal temp of 165℉.
- Place cooked chicken onto a large plate and shred with 2 forks. Salt and pepper shredded chicken.
- Transfer shredded chicken to a large mixing bowl.
- Add to chicken diced celery, raisins and sunflower seeds.
- In a separate smaller mixing bowl add mayonnaise, mustard, garlic powder, tarragon and lemon juice.
- Whisk well.
- Add to dressing diced chives and stir.
- Add dressing to chicken bowl.
- Stir well. Salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Other Possible Ingredient Combinations
- Red or Green Grapes
- Chopped or slivered almonds
- Dried Cranberries
- Greek Yogurt
- Diced Apples
- Regular Raisins
- Diced Red Onion
- Diced Cheese
What to Eat With Tarragon Chicken Salad
- As a Chicken Salad Wrap. (Have you tried this super healthy and low carb wrap bread yet?)
- With crackers as a light lunch.
- Inside lettuce as another low-carb wrap option.
- On top of a salad.
- As a sandwich.
- Stuffed in celery.
- Eaten with cucumber slices.
More Easy & Delicious 30 Min and Under Recipes
Creamy Lemon Dill Salmon Pasta
Additional Fun Sandwich Recipes
Mexican Chicken Avocado Sandwich
Dry Rubbed Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Hot Dry Rubbed Roast Beef Sandwich
Tarragon Chicken Salad
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts *about 2 breasts, 2 cups shredded
- 1/2 cup diced celery *about 1-2 stalks
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds *toasted or non-toasted
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup avocado mayonaise *or healthy mayo of choice
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried tarragon *or 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 bunch fresh chives *chopped, about 1/2 cup
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a large pot. Cover with water 1 inch above chicken breasts. Bring a boil over high heat. Once boiling lower to a simmer and cook for 10-12 mins or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165℉.
- Transfer cooked chicken onto a large plate. Using 2 forks pull chicken creating bite sized chicken pieces. (Shred chicken immediately after cooking for easier shredding. Be cautious not to use hands to prevent burning.)
- Lay shredded chicken out flat on plate and salt and pepper. Stir Well and let cool in refrigerator while preparing other ingredients.
- Meanwhile chop celery and chives. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together mayo, mustard, garlic powder, tarragon and lemon juice. Stir in chooped chives.
- Remove chicken from refigerator once it is cool enough to touch. Add to chicken sunflower seeds, celery, raisins and dressing. Stir well. Add addittional salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Chill until needed.
- Avocado mayonnaise can be replaced with mayo of choice or Greek yogurt.
- Golden raisins can be replaced with regular raisins, dried cranberries, grapes or diced apples.
- Sunflower seeds can be replaced with pecan, walnuts or almonds.
- Celery can be replaced with diced red onion.
- It is very common when boiling chicken breasts to have a layer of foam that is created. There is nothing wrong with the chicken if this happens. Just simply use a large spoon to remove foam if it is bothersome.
Leave a Reply