Healthy and satisfying, this Cilantro Lime Cabbage Salad has shredded cabbage, chopped veggies and a delicious creamy Mexican dressing. Goes wonderfully with chicken, fish or as a low carb dinner.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
Do you ever have those days where you feel hungry all the time?
I hate to admit this, I have more of those days than I care to admit.
Admittedly, sometimes it is more boredom eating that strikes me rather than hunger. Honestly though, there are those days where I can eat everything but the kitchen sink.
However, when I successfully navigate through my ravenous appetite the number one thing that helps is eating high fiber meals like this Cilantro Lime Cabbage Salad.
Because this recipe is incredibly flavorful and full of fiber it helps me to feel satisfied and its nutritional density helps me to feel like a million bucks.
When to Eat Cabbage Salad
- When eating a typical low carb diet.
- Eating a high fiber diet for weight loss.
- For help feeling satisfied with higher hunger.
- Seeking the health benefits of nutritionally dense foods.
- Packed as a work lunch.
Difference Between Coleslaw and Cabbage Salad
Honestly, this salad can be viewed as a jazzed up coleslaw but really is more of tossed cabbage salad. Coleslaw recipes are generally composed of shredded cabbage and a simple mayonnaise dressing, where as a cabbage salad will have various veggies.
How to Prepare Cilantro Lime Cabbage Salad
- Prepare Cilantro Garlic Sauce and refrigerate.
- Shred cabbage and carrots. Add to a large bowl
- Cut onion, bell pepper and cilantro. Add to large bowl.
- Salt and pepper veggies. Sprinkle in lime juice.
- Add Cilantro Garlic Sauce and toss well.
Whole Cabbage vs. Prepackaged Shredded Cabbage
It is perfectly fine to use prepackaged shredded cabbage for this recipe or to shred it yourself. Using prepackaged shredded cabbage will save you about 10 mins in preparation of this cabbage salad.
If using fresh cabbage for this recipe it will take approximately 1/2 of a small head of cabbage, shredded equaling about 4 cups. For prepackaged shredded cabbage look for 1/2 pound packages.
Types of Cabbage to Use
Traditionally either green or red cabbage is used for this salad. However, any cabbage of your preference may be used such as Napa and Savoy cabbage.
Additional Add Ins
- Shredded chicken
- Fried tortilla strips
- Grilled salmon
- Carne Asada
- Cilantro Lime Mexican Roast Chicken
Helpful Tools For Quick and Easy Prep
- Good quality chef’s knife (these are still my favorite and they are incredibly affordable).
- Large mixing bowl to toss salad easily.
- These must have kitchen tools for easy tossing.
More Delicious Tossed Salads
Cilantro Lime Cabbage Salad
- 1/2 lb shredded cabbage *about 4 cups shredded, red or green cabbage or a combination.
- 1 med shredded carrot *about 3/4 cup
- 1 small red bell pepper *cut into strips
- 1 small yellow bell pepper *cut into strips
- 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro *about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 med white onion *cut into thin strips
- 1- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice *about 1/2 lime
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 batch Cilantro Garlic Sauce
- Shred cabbage and grate carrots. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Prepare bell peppers, onion and cilantro.
- Sprinkle lime, salt and pepper over veggies.
- Add Cilantro Garlic Sauce to bowl and toss well.