Tuscan Kale Soup is a 30 minute healthy and delicious dinner perfect for busy nights. With white beans, sausage and Italian flavors, this soup is absolutely divine.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
The last few weeks I have become painfully aware of how important quick and healthy meals really are as my family has gone through some massive changes.
All good changes, but changes that have required a lot of work.
At the end of the day, the last thing I want to do is spend hours cooking.
I want an easy, healthy, satisfying and delicious dinner.
If I am feeling this way, I know you probably are too and my hearts desire is to make life a little bit easier for my readers.
With that in mind, check back often as I will be sharing more and more delicious and healthy 30 minute meals, like this Tuscan Kale Soup.
Healthy 30 Min Tuscan Kale Soup
Chilly nights when energy levels are low are the perfect time for this Tuscan Kale Soup. It is fast, warming and provides a wonderful boost of extra nutrition with kale, cannellini beans and zucchini. As an added bonus, this soup is gluten-free and fairly low carb.
Here are just a few things to take note of about this soup:
- Leftovers freeze beautifully.
- The vegetables in soup tend to absorb liquid after being cooked and sitting in the refrigerator overnight. It is wise to purchase an additional 32 oz container of broth for reheating leftovers. Just make sure to add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- With the right container, this soup packs extremely well for a work lunch.
Best Sausage For Kale Soup
For an incredibly easy and quick soup, use precooked Polish sausage cut into bite sized pieces. I use Teton Water Ranch 100% Gras-Fed Beef Polish Sausage sold at Costco in a 3 pack. For this Tuscan Kale Soup use 2 of the 3 packages.
For a truly delicious Italian soup use Italian Sausage instead. However, it will add on approximately 10 extra minutes to fully cook the Italian Sausage. To make this Kale Soup using Italian sausage follow these instructions.
- Preheat a dutch oven or stockpot over med/high heat.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil.
- Remove sausage from casing if not making homemade.
- Add sausage to pan and cook, stirring often. Make sure to break apart into smaller pieces using a spatula.
- Once fully cooked, remove sausage onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain excess grease from pan and continue with soup following directions below.
Note: The Italian sausage will not need to be recooked, just add in at the same time as the broth. Also, use 1 tbsp of oil rather than 2 for sautéing the onions if using Italian sausage.
How To Prepare Kale For White Bean Soup
To prepare the kale for this soup, first rinse well and shake off excess water. Kale leaves can either be torn into bite sized pieces or cut with a good quality chefs knife. I personally prefer cutting kale as it is just so much faster.
Pro Tip: Using a full bunch of kale will seem like too much at first. However, as the kale sautés it will shrink dramatically in size.
Can kale stems be used in soup?
Absolutely, however using the stems is a personal preference. Since the stems are tougher, make sure to dice into smaller pieces and sauté long enough that they become soft.
Canned vs Dried Cannellini Beans
When short on time, buying canned cannellini beans can be a wonderful way to get dinner on the table quickly. These are my favorite canned cannellini beans because the beans are usually always whole and not smashed. Just remember, if you are using canned beans to rinse beans before adding to the soup. This helps to rid the beans of excess sodium and the thick bean syrup that accompanies the beans in the can.
One great way of helping to extend the food budget is to buy dried beans and cook them yourself. Once cooked, divide the beans into 1 1/2 cup portions and freeze. That is the approximate amount that one can holds. Just make sure to remove from the freezer the day before and defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
Tools for Easy Preparation
- Enameled Dutch Oven– This really is an all-purpose tool great for soups, stews, sauces and braising.
- Garlic Press– If you are as passionate about eating garlic as I am than this will save you tons of time.
- Grater/Zester– Perfect for fine grating parmesan or zesting citrus.
More Delicious 30 Minute Meals
Soups to Fall in Love With
Tuscan Kale Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large brown onion *diced, about 1 cup
- 24 oz precooked Polish Sausage *cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 bunch red kale (or kale variety of choice) *finely diced
- 2 tbsp crushed garlic *about 4-6 large garlic cloves
- 1 heaping tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp lemon juice *about 1 lemon
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes *with juice
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 15.5 oz can cannellini beans *rinsed, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 med zucchini *cut into bite sized pieces
- freshly grated parmesan cheese *as a garnish
- Heat a dutch oven or stockpot over medium/high heat. Add oil and onions. Sauté until sweating, about 2-3 mins.
- Cut sausage into bite sized pieces. Add to onions and sauté until lightly browned, about 5 mins.
- Add diced kale and sauté until reduced in size, about 6 mins.
- Add in garlic and Italian seasoning. Sauté for another 2 mins.
- Stir in lemon juice, canned tomatoes (with juice) and broth. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 2-3 mins.
- Add in beans and zucchini. Simmer until zucchini is cooked, about 8 mins.
- Garnish each individual bowl with freshly grated parmesan.