Warm and satisfying, Hamburger Vegetable Soup is full of good for you veggies and comes together in a little over 30 minutes.
Hamburger Veggie Soup
It’s chilly people, and you want to know the most ridiculous thing?
I am in Southern California where I do not know what it is like to really be cold.
I have never had to fight snow, drive in snow or shovel a driveway. Heck, I was in my 30’s before I saw snow for the first time.
None the less, it’s chilly here and we have been fighting the sniffles for the last two weeks.
Easy and heartwarming meals have been an absolute necessity. I made a huge pot of this Hamburger Vegetable Soup and I am so glad I did.
It has made wonderful lunches and dinners when I was just too tired to cook but also hit the spot when we needed a bowl of heartwarming comfort to soothe the the agony of common cold.
Tips about Hamburger Vegetable Soup:
- Use good quality hamburger, preferably grass-fed. For more information on why eat grass-fed meat check out this article .
- The herb marjoram has lost popularity in the states and that is completely baffling to me. Next to thyme, it one of the most versatile herbs around tasting wonderful with poultry, pork and beef. (affiliate)
- This is my favorite basil and bay leaves. (affiliate)
- To cut down on cooking time use precooked brown rice. I used 1/2 of a bag of Trader Joe’s frozen precooked organic brown rice.
- Add the whole can of diced tomatoes including the juice.
- For even more healthy veggies add either a cut up zucchini or yellow crookneck squash.
- If you would love a stockpot as beautiful as Le Crusette but not willing to spend a small fortune then this is the stockpot for you. (affiliate)
- If you are using a crock-pot or slow cooker follow step 1 according to the recipe. Add carrots, celery, tomatoes and beef broth and cook on high until carrots are tender, about 4 hours. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 1 additional hour on high. (affiliate)
Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-1 1/2 lbs hamburger
- 1 lg onion *about 2 cups roughly diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves *minced or crushed
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 small carrots *about 1 1/2 cups diced
- 3 stalks celery *about 1 1/2 cups diced
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup precooked brown rice
- 1 lb frozen green beans
- 64 oz beef broth
- 1/2 small cabbage *about 4 cups shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a dutch oven over med/high heat. Add oil & hamburger. Once hamburger is almost fully browned add onion, garlic & herbs-stir well. Simmer for 2 mins or until onions just start to become translucent.
- Add carrots & celery and simmer for about 4-5 mins. Add mushrooms, stir well and simmer for about 2 mins. Add tomatoes & cooked brown rice- stir well. Add green beans & stir. Add broth & bay leaf. Bring to a boil for about 10 mins. Add cabbage and simmer until cabbage is cooked, about 7-8 mins.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.*
For other comfort filled soups check out these recipes: