Panko Crusted Salmon with Dill and Lemon is a quick and healthy meal full of bright flavors. Oven baked with dijon and olive oil makes this salmon recipe lighter in calories. An absolute treat when doing the low-carb diet.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
Are you a family that is always on the go? What a silly question, I know!
Honestly, who isn’t on the go all the time nowadays between sports functions, appointments, meetings, chores and life in general.
No matter what stage of life you’re in, chances are it’s just busy.
This is where Quick & Healthy meals become imperative.
If your like me though, you probably really want those meals to taste amazing also.
For me, dinnertime is my time to relax. I want to kick back, enjoy and savor what I am eating.
Quick, healthy and absolutely delicious become a must!
This Panko Crusted Salmon with Dill and Lemon fits all of those needs perfectly.
In addition, the leftovers make such a yummy lunch.
How To Make Panko Crusted Salmon
I absolutely love the ease and simplicity of this meal with the final product turning out absolutely divine. Follow these easy steps for a Quick and Healthy dinner.
- Cut a 1 lb salmon filet (give or take a few ounces) into 4-5 even pieces. Cover a sided cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with a healthy cooking spray. Place cut salmon pieces on prepared cookie sheet.
- Place a dollop of dijon mustard on each salmon filet.
- Evenly spread mustard on each piece.
- Prepare Panko topping.
- Sprinkle each filet with panko topping.
- Bake in a preheated 425℉ oven for 10-12 minutes or until salmon is cooked though and topping is lightly browned.
What does Panko Crusted mean?
Panko is a light and flaky breadcrumb that works beautifully as a coating for many meats. There are two approaches to crust a piece of meat. Option one is to coat the entire piece of meat with a dry ingredient like flour, a wet ingredient like eggs and then Panko, also know as dredging. Option two is to layer the wet ingredient (mustard) and dry ingredient (Panko) on top for texture and flavor.
Baking Time For Panko Salmon
Since this Salmon Recipe is baked at a higher temperature of 425℉, baking times will range from 10-12 minutes, depending how accurate your oven temperature is. However, there is one trick to the quick cooking time. When placing salmon filets onto the prepared cookie sheet allow about 1 to 2 inches of space in-between each filet. This will allow hot air to circulate effectively around filets for quick and even cooking.
Which Salmon is Best?
The decision of whether to purchase wild salmon or farmed salmon can be an extremely challenging undertaking. Salmon is rich source of omega-3 fatty acids and is an incredibly delicious fish to incorporate as part of a heart healthy diet. However, the price variables between farmed vs wild caught salmon can be dramatic, leaving many to wonder if the health benefits of wild caught truly outweigh farmed salmon.
This evidence based article helps to break down the main health differences between the two. Personally, I feel much more at ease with buying wild caught when on sale at my local Sprouts Farmers Market. Antibiotic resistance of farmed salmon is an extremely large concern. This is not to eliminate the possibility of purchasing farmed salmon all together. If I come across a salmon farm using ethical practices and being cautious of antibiotic use, I will pass that on to my readers immediately.
Healthy Cooking Spray
So what is a healthy cooking spray? For me it is a spray using a healthy oil, such as avocado oil and is free of chemical propellants and additives. I purchase Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Spray at Costco for an excellent price. However, it can also be purchased here through Amazon.
What To Serve With Panko Crusted Salmon
- Herbed Barley Salad
- Side salad with Simple Herbed Lemon Vinaigrette
- Italian Sautéed Baby Spinach
- Blueberry Basil Chopped Veggie Salad
- Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
- Red Skinned Mashed Potatoes
- Springtime Pasta Salad
- Skinny Red Potato Salad
- Rocket Your Mind Salad
More Delicious Salmon Recipes
More Quick & Healthy Meals
- Egg Rolls in a Bowl
- One Pan Panko Chicken and Green Bean Salad
- Zesty Chicken Pasta Salad
- Mediterranean Tuna Salad
- Simple Angel Hair Pasta
Panko Crusted Salmon with Dill and Lemon
- Aluminum Foil
- Healthy Cooking Spray
- Sided Cookie Sheet
- 1 lb whole salmon fillet *cut into 4-5 pieces
- 1/3 cup Panko
- 1 tsp lemon zest *from 1 lg lemon
- 1/2 tbsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 425℉. Line a sided cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Cut the whole salmon filet into 4-5 even pieces and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Evenly divide mustard onto salmon pieces and spread, covering top of filet.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl mix togther Panko, lemon zest, dill, salt and pepper. Evenly sprinkle over tops of salmon pieces.
- Bake for 10-12 mins or until salmon is baked through and Panko starts to lightly brown.