Blueberry Basil Chopped Veggie Salad recipe is a fresh and crisp summer side. Savory and slightly sweet, this salad is packed full of fresh veggies, blueberries and basil. Makes a perfect campion to grilled meats.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
Do you ever have incredibly strange things happen and wonder if they just happen to you?
Sometimes I have the darndest things happen that make me wonder if I am on some brand new revival of Candid Camera.
For instance, the last month or so I will be in the house doing whatever it is that I am doing and all of a sudden I will hear a loud THUD!!! What follows is me jumping sky high with a fright.
The first couple of times it happened, I thought someone was playing a trick on me.
I wasn’t amused!
At about the third time, I finally realized it was a bird flying into our very tall windows.
You would think the awareness would make me more immune to becoming startled. You know the kind of startled that makes your heart jump into your throat and then fall to your feet?
Oh no!!! It just got worse.
For about 3 days in a row I would be sitting in my office, diligently working away and…BAMMM!!!! I jump, completely frustrated, look up at my window and see nothing but feathers directly above my computer screen.
“What the *#@&*!!!!”
I gain my composure, go back to work and an hour later…. BAAAAMMMM!!!! Proceeded by another poof of feathers.
What made me the most frustrated, I was the only one this was happening too.
At one point my husband was starting to think I was loosing my marbles.
But, finally it happened!!
Paul was in the restroom, home from work on a short break. I was working away at the computer and…
Followed by feathers flying, me cussing up a storm and the BEST text message I have gotten in awhile.
“Was that Daffy bird flying into the window?”
“YES!!! He finally heard it!”
Of course I had to double check with him that it was the crazy, self destructive bird he heard and not my fit throwing.
He heard it all.
So yes, I am the kind of oddball that has birds tormenting her and who creates crazy sounding salads like this Blueberry Basil Chopped Veggie Salad.
Let me reassure you though, unlike my bird debacle, this summer salad is absolutely pleasant from the first bite.
Commonly asked questions about this Chopped Salad.
What could I serve with this chopped salad recipe?
We have serve it along side grilled grass-fed sausages and it was so good with my Best Dry Rubbed Ribs recipe. Honestly, this Blueberry Basil Chopped Veggie Salad recipe would go great with bbq chicken, grilled chicken, sandwiches or any type of summer main dish of your choosing.
How long will this Blueberry Corn Salad last in the refrigerator?
Such a great question! Because blueberries are more on the delicate side I would say no longer than 2 days refrigerated. You can safely make this salad up (kept refrigerated) the night before a potluck or cookout and it will still taste amazing.
I don’t have fresh basil. Can I use dried basil instead?
Yes, absolutely! I personally would recommend about 1 tablespoon of dried basil but if you and your family love basil then 1 1/2 -2 tablespoons would work well.
What can I replace the lemon juice with if my guests are allergic?
Any white vinegar of your choosing although this one is a favorite. (affiliate)
Are there other veggie options for this Summer Salad Recipe?
Absolutely! With any summer salad recipe the key is to tailor it with your personal preferences. Lightly blanched broccoli, grilled or blanched asparagus, cubes of cucumber and/or thinly sliced red onion would all work well. Just remember to increase the vinaigrette accordingly if adding more veggies.
Additional tips about this Easy Summer Salad.
- Making chopped salads like this Blueberry Basil Chopped Veggie Salad is great for people who don’t like lettuce or eating too many raw veggies are hard on their digestion.
- Feta does tend to be salty so be cautious when salting this salad especially if sodium levels are a concern.
- This tool will make balancing the veggies so much easier. (affiliate)
Blueberry Basil Chopped Veggie Salad
- 12 oz fresh blueberries
- 2-3 bell peppers (combination of red, orange or yellow) 1 1/2 cups chopped
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans cut into 1/2- 3/4 inch pieces, 1 1/2 cups chopped
- 1 large yellow squash cut into 1/2 pieces, about 1 1/4 cups chopped
- 1 large zucchini cut into 1/2 pieces, about 1 1/4 cups chopped
- 2 ears organic corn on the cob about 1 1/2 cups cut off the cob
- 10-12 oz grape tomatoes
- 7-8 feta cut into small cubes
For the Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 3 large cloves garlic crushed about 1 heaping tbsp
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 12-16 large basil leaves about 1/2 cup julienned
- Whisk together ingredients for vinaigrette with the exception of basil leaves (do not cut and add until the very end). Set aside.
- Prepare and cut green beans keeping them in a separate bowl. Do the same with the squashes. Shuck and wash corn but leave on the cob.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. When water is almost at the boiling point prepare a bowl with ice water to immediately stop the cooking process on the bean, squashes and corn once they are cooked.
- Once water is boiling add cut green beans and boil for 1 1/2 mins and then add cut squash pieces to same pot. Continue to cook for another 2-3 mins or until desired tenderness.With a slotted spoon carefully and quickly transfer veggies to ice water.
- Add corn on the cob to boiling water and cook for 5-6 mins. Remove form boiling water and add to ice bath.
- Drain cooked veggies from ice bath. Using a sharpe knife carefully cut corn off of cobs. Add corn, green beans and squashes to vinaigrette. Toss well.
- Meanwhile, while veggies are boiling, prepare and cut bell peppers. Add to vinaigrette.
- Once veggies are prepared and tossed in vinaigrette, add in grape tomatoes, blueberries, feta and basil.Toss well and refrigerate until served.
Follow along on Facebook and Pinterest for more savory inspirations.
Here are more Fun and Delicious recipes perfect for summer:
Bruschetta with Balsamic Reduction
Leave a Reply