So easy to make and full of flavor, Sourdough Garlic Bread takes just minutes to make. This crusty and mouthwatering side dish goes perfectly with Kabobs, Pork Chops, Wings and of course Pasta. Always a family favorite.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
- Sourdough Baguette
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or softened butter)- Some helpful tips in choosing a high quality olive oil.
- Salt– This soft and crunchy salt is my all-time favorite for both cooking and as a finishing salt.
- Smoked Paprika– Makes dry rubs taste amazing, is the secret to scrumptious Homemade Chorizo and makes Homemade Mac n Cheese taste divine. (Check out my Amazon Storefront for a few different options of my favorite brands.)
Oil vs Butter
To make Homemade Garlic Bread either fat source may be used. However, if using butter make sure to place on the countertop to soften at room temperature a few hours before preparation.
For anyone watching their cholesterol or iodine intake, olive oil is the preferred option. (For more information about reversing Hoshimotos and Hypothyroidism by lowering iodine intake check out the Thyroid Reset Diet.)
Fresh Garlic vs Garlic Powder
Fresh garlic is always going to have the best flavor. However, a good quality garlic powder can be a tasty alternative to fresh. Additionally, I highly recommend using garlic powder over jarred minced garlic. The reason, jarred minced garlic is incredibly inferior in both taste and quality.
Smoked Paprika vs Regular Paprika
Bakeries will often sprinkle regular paprika over the top of garlic bread before packaging because it gives a beautiful color that contrasts well with the parsley. However, using smoked paprika will add in a delicious rich smokey flavor. This is due to the peppers that make smoked paprika being smoked and dried over oak fires.
Best Parmesan Cheese
Hands down the best parmesan cheese is Parmigiano-Reggiano from Italy. Cheese labeled with this name that is made in the United States is not genuine Parmigiano-Reggiano. However, it is far superior in taste and texture to imitation parmesan cheese.
How To Make Sourdough Garlic Bread
- Add the oil (or softened butter), garlic, salt, paprika, parmesan cheese and parsley to a small bowl or liquid measuring cup.
- Mix together well.
- Cut a sourdough baguette in half lengthwise and evenly spread garlic mixture on cut side of bread. Bake on broil setting for 7-10 minutes. Cut into individual pieces.
This recipe works perfectly for both sourdough and French baguettes. Additionally, use on a sourdough French Bread loaf or regular French bread loaf by doubling the garlic and oil mixture.
Freezing and Reheating Sourdough Garlic Bread
Leftover pieces may be frozen in freezer bags for up to a month and then reheated on a cookie sheet at 350℉ fo 10-12 minutes or until fully heated through.
Needless to say, Garlic Bread is a tasty companion to pasta dishes like Spaghetti alla Puttanesca, Lemon Garlic Pasta and Simple Angel Hair Pasta. However, Homemade Sourdough Garlic Bread is extremely delicious with soups and stews such as Lemon Chicken Soup, Beef and Bean Stew and Lemon Rosemary Potato Soup.
Sourdough Garlic Bread
- Preheat oven to broil or the highest temperature your oven will go to.
- In a small bowl mix together oil (or softened butter), garlic, salt, paprika, Parmigiano-Reggiano and parsley.
- Carefully cut baguette in half length wise using a bread knife. Place on a cookie sheet with cut side facing up.
- Spoon garlic mixture evenly on cut side of bread. Bake for 7- 10 mins or until edges of bread are crisp. Serve immediately.