Smoked Salmon Sandwiches (or Lox Sandwiches) are an easy and healthy all-purpose meal great for anytime of year, but especially wonderful for when it is too hot to cook. These sandwiches are gourmet enough for special brunches and are simple enough for a quick lunch or dinner.
Serve these cold sandwiches with Oat Flour Pancakes, Crustless Spinach and Feta Quiche and Hibiscus Pink Lemonade for a delicious and healthy brunch. For baby/bridal showers these sandwiches are wonderful served with Springtime Pasta Salad, Italian Lemon Pound Cake and Sgroppino (Lemon Sorbet and Prosecco Cocktail).
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
How To Make the Perfect Smoked Salmon Sandwich
One of the best ways to make an incredible tasting recipe is to combine a combination of flavors and textures such as creamy , crunchy, sweet, salty, savory and acidic. Here are the topping variations that fall within these categories.
Crunchy– Toasted Bread or bagel, cucumber slices, red onion slices, radish slices and Everything Bagel Seasoning.
Sweet– Strawberry slices, pomegranate seeds, blueberries, blackberries and jellies or jams.
Salty– Lox, smoked salmon, bacon, capers and finishing salt.
Savory– Arugula, micro-greens, chives, fresh dill, fresh herbs, hard boiled eggs or over easy eggs. Also, various grilled veggies such as asparagus, eggplant and yellow squash.
Acidic– Heirloom tomatoes, capers, lemon zest, lemon juice, olives
Lox vs Smoked Salmon
For most people, both lox and smoked salmon are interchangeable with one another. In other words, most will not notice a difference between the two because both have a smooth buttery texture. However, there is a difference in that smoked salmon goes one step further past being cured and is smoked. Additionally, lox is a bit saltier.
Cream Cheese Options
Plain cream cheese is the most popular choice for lox bagels. However, flavored cream cheese can be just as delicious. Here are a few flavor options.
- Lemon Chive Cream Cheese
- Herb and Garlic Cream Cheese
- Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese
- Honey Walnut Cream Cheese
Types of Bread Options
Smoked salmon and/or lox both go so well with bagel flavors such as plain, everything or onion. Also, Ezikiel bread, sourdough slices or Sourdough Baguettes that are served as open faced sandwiches are perfect as a light dinner. For parties where tea sandwiches are served this brand tastes amazing and is a soft and fluffy bread.
When To Serve
- Brunch– When family is in town visiting, this low stress recipe is a simple way of making company feel spoiled. Additionally, these sandwiches work well for Mother’s Day or Father’s Day brunch.
- Breakfast– These sandwiches can make a delicious and fast breakfast for any day of the week.
- Lunch or Dinner– Wonderful for lunch or dinner during the hot summer months because their is no cooking outside of toasting bread.
- Parties– A charcuterie board featuring smoked salmon, fresh bagels, different cream cheeses and a selection of toppings is perfect for special occasions such as bridal or baby showers.
More Delicious Sandwich Ideas
For simple and gourmet tasting sandwiches featuring avocado try Mexican Avocado Chicken Sandwich, Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich, Guacamole Chickpea Sandwich and Avocado Egg Salad. Additionally, we absolutely adore hot sandwiches such as Steak Pizzaiola and Dry Drubbed Grilled Chicken Sandwich during the cooler months.
Summer Smoked Salmon Sandwiches
Bread- choose 4 servings from your favorite listed below
- Everything Bagels
- Cracked Wheat Sourdough Bread *See Note #1 below
- Ezekiel Sesame Bread
- 8 oz cream cheese or *or favorite flavored cream cheese, See Note #2 below
- 4 oz lox or smoked salmon *See Note #3 below
Additional Toppings- choose from your favorites listed below
- 1-2 ripe avocados *peeled & sliced
- 8 oz strawberries *sliced *sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 small eggplant *See Note # 4 below
- 1 bunch asparagus *See Note 5 Below
- sm container fresh chives *chopped
- 1 sm english cucumber *cut into coins
- 1-2 cups arugula
- 1-2 heirloom tomatoes *sliced
- 1 sm red onion *thinly sliced
- 1 cup favorite sprouts or micro greens
- 1/4- 1/2 cup capers *drained
- 2-4 over easy eggs or
- 2-4 hard boiled eggs *See note #6 below
- fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Toast bread or bagel.
- Spread bagel or bread with cream cheese and layer on smoked salmon.
- Top the bagel half or bread slice with favorite toppings from above.