The fresh flavors of parsley, cilantro, oregano, garlic and lemon are married with the smooth nuttiness of extra virgin olive oil in this Chimichurri Sauce recipe. This sauce livens up veggies and is the perfect companion to steak.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
My first experience with Chimichurri Sauce was just a few months ago while dining at Centrally Grown restaurant in Cambria, Ca. Not only did we take in spectacular views, but we also ate wonderfully. My poor husband had to hear me “oh and ah” my way through dinner as I savored every bite of my grass-fed steak with chimichurri sauce. It really was love at first bite in trying this amazing sauce and definitely got my wheels turning. How many different meals could go from good, to extra ordinary with this green glorious sauce? The options seemed endless.
Reasons to Make Chimichurri Sauce Today:
- It is incredibly easy to make.
- The refreshing, savory taste brings everything to life (not that you want your steak to come to life but you get my point).
- Tastes wonderful on veggies.
- Steak and Chimichurri Sauce, a couple made in heaven.
- It has a healthy dose of fresh herbs with all their vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Tastes so much better than the other condiments.
- Best part, no added sugar, artificial ingredients or any of the yucky stuff.
There are two ways to make this Chimichurri Sauce. You can either put all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it is chunky (not pureed), or you can make it by hand. Both are simple approaches, however, doing it by hand will take just a few minutes more. I chose to make it by hand, but either way works beautifully.
I crushed the red chili pepper flakes with a mortar and pestle to release some of the oils. I also used dried oregano and crushed it in my hands by rubbing them together. I found using dried versions of these two ingredients to be much simpler.
This Chimichurri Sauce tasted absolutely fabulous on my Crockpot Spaghetti Squash with Chimichurri Sauce.
For other flavorful homemade sauces and dips checkout:
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar *or sherry wine vinegar
- 3-4 cloves garlic *crushed or minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup finely diced flat leaf parsley *approximately 1 med bunch
- 1 cup finely diced cilantro *approximately 1 med bunch
- ground pepper to taste *optional
- Option 1 Prepration - Whisk together oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, chili pepper flakes, oregano, sea salt and ground pepper. Dice herbs and stir into vinaigrette.
- Option 2 Preparation - Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until chunky and incorporated (not pureed).
- If doing the elimination diet and citrus is not allowed, substitute with vinegar.
- Yields about 2 cups.