My most requested side dish for BBQ’s, Skinny Red Potato Salad is an easy and healthy summer classic. With simple ingredients, great texture and the fresh flavor of dill, this potato salad is always a hit.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
I have been making potato salad for longer than I can remember and I never used a recipe.
That approach came to be by the guidance of my Mom.
She often cooked by sight and therefore I followed in her ways.
When friends would ask me for my Red Potato Salad recipe I always felt like a deer caught in headlights.
I couldn’t tell them proportions. Sadly “a pinch of this and a dab of that” was not enough of an explanation.
Since starting The Fed Up Foodie, I am proud to say that I have finally perfected the art of converting a “pinch and dab” to actual measurements.
It has been a skill worth the effort because I have now been able to share some of my family’s favorite comfort foods like Mom’s Classic Meatloaf, Country Style Pork Spare Ribs and Sauerkraut and Classic Spaghetti Sauce.
In addition, this Potato Salad Recipe has now become a favorite go-to side dish for many of my friends and happily they no longer have to depend on the “pinch and dab” approach.
How To Make Red Potato Salad
- Cook potatoes to desired tenderness and add to a large bowl.
- Chop vegetables and add to bowl.
- Add in remaining ingredients.
- Stir until throughly mixed but with large chunks of potato remaining.
Secrets to The Best Potato Salad
The secrets to creating The Best Potato Salad comes down to texture, fat content and flavor. It is important to tailor the recipe to your personal preferences in each of these areas. Here are some tips that may help.
Texture of Potato Salad
For many, the smooth texture of the yogurt and mayo combined with the crunch of the celery, pickles and onions is what makes this potato salad over the top delicious.
Fat Content of Potato Salad
Depending on what your health goals are, there may be times when keeping the fat content on the lower side is important. If that is the case, use nonfat Greek yogurt. However, I still like to add a little healthy mayonnaise in those cases.
During the times when total fat consumption is not an issue, I use whole milk Greek yogurt.
Flavor of Potato Salad
Last but not least, flavor is the most crucial element to creating The Best Potato Salad that everyone will love. It is important to combine the fresh flavors of dill and celery, with the zestiness of mustard, vinegar and pickles, in addition to the garlic and onion powder. When these flavors combine and marry with the creaminess of the yogurt, mayo and potatoes, magic happens.
Here are a few more additional tips for making crowd pleasing potato salad.
Skinny Red Potato Salad For Two
Here are the portions if making a small batch of potato salad for two:
- 1-2 medium sized red potatoes (about 1/2 lb)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp mayonaise
- 1/2 tbsp stone ground mustard (or brown mustard)
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium stalk celery *diced
- 1 small dill pickle *diced
- 1 stalk green onion *diced
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
Red Potato Salad For a Crowd
When doubling this recipe, it can safely serve 16- 20 people. If serving 32-40 people multiple the ingredients by 4.
Instant Pot Boiled Potatoes Instructions
Ever since purchasing my Instant Pot I have fallen head over heals in love with how potatoes cooked in the pressure cooker turn out. They are soft, buttery and a perfect texture for this potato salad. Follow these steps if cooking your potatoes in the Instant Pot rather than boiling.
- Wash the 2 1/2 lbs of red skin potatoes and pierce each potato with a fork several times.
- Place 1 cup of room temperature water in the the bottom of Instant pot liner and place liner into base. Place trivet into liner.
- Add pierced potatoes in a single layer.
- Secure lid and close valve to sealed.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 mins. Let pressure release naturally for 7-8 minutes and then do a quick release.
- Test potatoes with a knife. If potatoes cut easily with a slight amount of resistance they are done. Remove from Instant Pot and let cool.
- Carefully cut into large chunks and add to large bowl. Continue with directions from recipe card.
Note: If potatoes are not fully cooked to desired tenderness, place back on high pressure for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Pro Tip: Do not worry if the red potato skins start to crack. This usually happens with this type of potato in the Instant Pot and generally means they are well cooked.
What To Serve With Red Potato Salad
Homemade BBQ Sauce on your favorite meat
More Summer Salads
Skinny Red Potato Salad
- 2 1/2 lbs red potatoes *about 6-7 med sized potatoes
- 2 tbsp sea salt *if boiling potatoes
- 6 oz container plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tbsp stone ground or brown mustard
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 3 stalks celery diced *diced, about 1 cup
- 4 small dill pickles *diced
- 4 stalks green onions *diced
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash and cut potatoes into large chunks placing in a soup pan or stock pot. Cover potatoes with cold water. Add 2 tbsp salt and bring to a boil. Once boiling cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender with a little bit of resistance in the center. Drain potatoes in colander and let cool. Potatoes will continue to cook while draining.
- Chop veggies and add to a large bowl along with all other ingredients. Mix until potatoes have become desired consistency.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with chopped green onions or chives.