Crispy and baked, these Smokey Lemon Garlic Wings have the subtle flavor of smoked paprika combined with a brightness of lemon and savoriness of garlic. Perfect for game day or a family favorite on movie night!
Smokey Lemon Garlic Wings
Making and eating these Smokey Lemon Garlic Wings was very bitter sweet for me.
A few years ago my husband turned me onto wings during one of our football watching sessions.
I immediately fell in love with them (can you believe I had never had them before) and now I completely associate them with football.
Fast forward to this football season and I feel like a fan without a team.
See, my San Diego Chargers are now the LA Chargers ???? and I have yet to watch one of their games. (This is no offense to Los Angeles but in sports San Diego and LA are arch rivals, always have been and always will be.)
So when I made these Smokey Lemon Garlic Wings it felt very surreal watching a movie and not rooting on Phillip Rivers and Antonio Gates.
As much as I miss watching my boys, it will be interesting to see if I can bring myself back to watching the ehhh…blahhhh… arrrfff…uuughhh…Los Angeles Chargers.
Regardless though, I do know that I am loving all the possible flavor combinations that can be done with wings even if eating them does not go hand in hand with football any longer.
Tips about Smokey Lemon Garlic Wings:
- For these Smokey Lemon Garlic Wings I used Simply Organic Smoked Paprika which gave the wings subtle smoking flavor. The smoked paprika played very nicely with the brightness of the lemon and the savoriness of the garlic. (affiliate)
- One very important step, prior to coating the wings in the baking powder/salt mixture is to pat the wings dry with paper towels to rid them of extra moisture. This is one of two steps that will help the wings to become extra crispy.
- The second step that allows for a wonderfully baked crispiness is to coat the wings in the baking powder and salt mixture that helps the skin to dry out. Just makes sure not to use baking powder with aluminum as that can lead to a bitter taste. Plus who really wants to be eating aluminum in the first place? (affiliate)
- For the baking of the wings you will want to place the wings on top of a baking rack that rests in a cookie sheet. Bake the wings for approximately 30-35 mins at 250℉ and then for 40 mins at 425℉. (affiliate)
- If you are having a hard time finding organic wings check your local Costco’s meat department.
- Here is my favorite lemon zester. (affiliate)
Smokey Lemon Garlic Wings
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes *optional
- 5-6 garlic cloves *about 2 tbsp minced or crushed
- zest of 1 lg lemon
- 1/2 tbsp smoke paprika
- serve with fresh squeezed lemon or your favorite ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 250℉.
- Pat chicken wings dry with paper towels and then toss in a large bowl with salt and baking powder making sure to evenly coat wings.
- Place baking rack into cookie sheet and lay wings out on rack in a single layer. Bake at 250℉ for 30- 35 mins. (see tips in post above)
- Do not remove wings from oven, raise temperature to 425℉ and continue baking for another 40 mins. Remove and let rest for 5 mins.
- Once wings are baked and resting heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add butter and oil and heat until butter is melted. Add red pepper flakes, garlic, lemon zest and paprika and cook until fragrant stirring often, about 2 mins. Toss wings in sauce and serve hot.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.*
Inspired by Tasty.
If you love appetizers then you will want to check out these recipes: