Crispy, cheesy and bursting with flavors of Italian sausage and pesto, these Italian Cheesy Bites are a wonderful appetizer for your Holiday get togethers.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
We are an Italian sausage and pesto loving family. It isn’t unusual that every couple of weeks we make up a big batch of Roman Pesto Pasta or Hearty Tuscan Pasta that we eat for a few days. I usually make a big salad and then put a spoonful of either of the pastas on top. With our love of these two main ingredients, it is no surprise that everyone in my house voted for this as an appetizer. These Italian Cheesy Bites are a fun change of pace from the ordinary appetizer. They are crispy, cheesy, super flavorful and kind of remind me of a Chinese lasagna.
Tips about Italian Cheesy Bites:
- For these Italian Cheesy Bites I used my Homemade Italian Sausage and Toasted Walnut Pesto.
- If you are not a pesto lover, switch out the pesto for your favorite marinara.
- Make sure to spray your muffin pans with a nonstick spray before placing the wonton wrappers in each cup. This will help prevent sticking and make removal much easier.
- Drain your cooked Italian Sausage on paper towels before adding to the wontons and drain pesto of excess oil. These two steps will help to ensure your Italian Cheesy Bites are not oily.
Italian Cheesy Bites
- 48 wonton wrappers
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- cooking spray
- 1 cup part skim ricotta
- 1 lg egg
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 12 oz 1 1/2 cups Toasted Walnut Pesto
- 6 oz shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray and fry Italian Sausage into crumbles over med high heat until cooked through, about 5 mins. Transfer onto paper towel to absorb excess grease.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl thoroughly combined egg, ricotta and garlic powder.
- Spray 2,12 cup muffin tins with cooking spray. Layer two wonton wrappers per muffin cup.
- Place approximately 1/2 tbsp sausage, 1/2 tbsp ricotta, 1 tsp pesto and 1 tbsp mozzarella into each muffin cup.
- Bake in a preheated 375℉ oven for 10 mins. Serve immediately.
This recipe is part of Food Network’s Fall Fest recipe round up. For more appetizer inspiration check out:
The Lemon Bowl: Baba Ganoush Recipe
The Wimpy Vegetarian: Miso Mashed Potato Stuffed Mushrooms
The Mom 100: Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
A Mind “Full” Mom: Christmas Tree Deviled Eggs
Healthy Eats: 7 Lighter Ways to Kick Off Your Holiday Meal
Taste with the Eyes: Holiday Entertaining: Oysters with Caviar
Creative Culinary: Pecan, Pineapple and Gorgonzola Cheese Ball with Dried Cranberries