Toasted Walnut Pesto recipe is a classic sauce with a toasted nutty twist. Makes the best pastas, sandwiches and is an all around great boost to all kinds of summer meals.
Pesto is such a perfect sauce. It is so fast to make and makes you feel like a gourmet chef. Pasta and sandwiches come to life when pesto is added. Somehow buying pre-made pesto doesn’t have the same pizazz. Nothing beats the fragrant smell of fresh basil blending with the comforting warmth of the nuts and garlic. The end product is a beautiful marriage of wonderfully savory ingredients that transports you to Italy. This Toasted Walnut Pesto is a twist on an old classic. It has a perfect balance of buttery nuttiness to aromatic heroines. If you love basil, garlic and walnuts you will love this recipe. This will be a go to time and time again.
Tips about Toasted Walnut Pesto:
- Toasting the walnuts adds a nutty depth that seems to round this sauce out. For the longest time when I would make pesto there always seemed to be something missing. Once I tried it with toasted walnuts I never looked back. It is very easy to over bake the nuts. My suggestion is to stick close to the oven. Once you smell the nuts baking, they are done. Pull them out and let them cool on the cookie sheet. Once cooled, they are ready to go. Toasted walnuts taste great on salads also.
- I would be lost making this Toasted Walnut Pesto without my food processor. It makes it so quick and easy but if you like self torture you can always do it the old fashioned way with a mortar and pestle. (affiliate)
- This will probably come as a big shock to you, I use organic olive oil. At this moment in time there are only a few brands I trust to deliver pure olive oil but I hope to expand that trust soon. When I am being economical it’s Costco’s organic olive oil but I also highly trust Bragg’s Organic Olive Oil.
- Want to know why you should be picky about your garlic and only buy it organically grown in California? Here is a great glimpse as to why.
Toasted Walnut Pesto
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups basil leaves *enough to turn the sauce to a vibrant shade of green
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup parmegiano-regiano authentic parmesan
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay walnuts out flat on a cookie sheet. Once oven is heated, bake for approximately 10 mins or until lightly browned. You will know they are perfectly toasted the minute you smell toasted walnuts. Let cool.
- In a food processor blend all ingredients until fully incorporated. Add more basil if needed until pesto is a vibrant shade of green.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.*
Check out these delicious recipes using pesto: