One of the easiest holiday cocktails, this Peppermint White Russian is rich, creamy and refreshing. Made with coffee liqueur, peppermint liqueur and cream.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
What is a Peppermint White Russian
Very similar to a basic White Russian but with a twist, a Peppermint White Russian is a simple cocktail composed of either peppermint schnapps or peppermint vodka, Kahlúa and cream that is served on ice. It is cold, creamy, refreshing and very easy to make.
- Ice Cubes– Since this cocktail is best served in small glass tumblers, smaller ice cubes work best. I personally love the look of the small square ice cubes that this ice cube tray makes.
- Coffee Liqueur– Any type of coffee liqueur can be used for this Peppermint White Russian. However, here is a list of some of the best coffee liqueurs available.
- Peppermint Liqueur– Either peppermint schnapps or peppermint vodka works beautifully for this cocktail.
- Half and Half– Pretty much any type milk product can be used for this cocktail (see the Non-Dairy Options section below). However, half & half is the perfect middle road of creaminess between milk and heavy cream.
- Peppermint Sticks–
As mentioned above, any type of non-dairy milk may be used for this cocktail such as soy, almond or oat milk. However, my all time favorite non-dairy milk is flax milk. It has a wonderfully creamy texture and tastes amazing.
- Use a heavy creamy for an extra creamy cocktail.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of a chocolate syrup for a chocolate twist.
- Replace 1 ounce of peppermint liqueur for 1 ounce of creme de cocoa for a boozy chocolate spin.
- Instead of using creme de cocoa, add 1 ounce of white chocolate liqueur in place of 1 ounce of peppermint liqueur.
How To Make
Frequently Asked Questions
Should this cocktail be rimmed?
Peppermint White Russians do not need to be rimmed. However, doing so can make this cocktail feel extra fancy. To do so dip the rim of the glass into a thick sugary substance such as corn syrup, honey or sweetened condensed milk. From there dip into any of the the following;
- Crushed Candy Canes
- Shaved White Chocolate
- Shaved Milk or Dark Chocolate
- Red Sanding Sugar
- For an extra special cocktail dip the rim into melted white, milk or dark chocolate and then into crushed candy canes.
When is the best time to make this cocktail?
Without a shadow of a doubt, the holidays are the best time to serve this cocktail. However, for peppermint lovers this adult beverage is great anytime of year.
Is there a nonalcoholic version of this drink?
A nonalcoholic version is basically an expresso drink with both peppermint extract and half and half.
Does Kahlúa have caffeine?
According to Kahlúa’s website there is a very small amount of caffeine in Kahlúa, approximately 3.33 mg of caffeine in 1 ounce.
Can heavy whipping cream be used instead of half & half?
Heavy whipping cream may absolutely be used in place of half & half. Doing so will create an extra rich and creamy cocktail.
Peppermint White Russian
- 2 ounces peppermint liqueur *See Note # 1 below
- 1 ounce coffee liqueur *See Note # 2 below
- 1 ounce half and half *See Note # 3 below
- peppermint stick
- To a short glass add a good amount of ice. Pour over the ice the liqueurs and half and half. Stir well.Serve with a peppermint stick.
Leave a Reply