A fudgy bite of brownie topped with cool creamy cherry whipped cream makes these Black Forest Bites a favorite among cherry and chocolate lovers. Incredibly easy to make with just a few ingredients to mix together. These were the hit of the dinner party!
I have fallen in love people!! I am completely head over heals in love with flavored whipped cream. After creating my Vanilla Bean Blueberry Cream Cupcakes recipe I was so taken aback by how delicious that fluffy whipped cream was that my mind started racing to all the possible flavor combinations I could create. So much so that the idea for these Black Forest Bites came to me in a dream. I was so excited by it that when my husband got up for a midnight bathroom break I dreamily told him, “I have a really great idea but I am too tired to tell you about it”. His reply, “good, because I am too tired to listen.” We both drifted back to sleep but in the morning I was armed and ready to talk his ear off about my dream. Thankfully he thought it sounded great so I made it for a get together we had that night. Our friends loved them and all agreed it should become a blog post. So here it is, the Black Forest Bites dessert that originated from a dream…😴
Tips about Black Forest Bites:
- I adapted this brownie recipe from an old family favorite and I am not sure where the original recipe came from. My version calls for avocado oil but please feel free to use your favorite baking oil. (affiliate)
- Ever since finding this cupcake/cake carrier storing baked goods like these Black Forest Bites have been so much easier. The storage layers are high enough that the frosting doesn’t get destroyed. I also love that each layer reverses to either transport or store 1/4 sheet cakes and/or cupcakes. (affiliate)
- I adore stainless steel baking products but they can be hard to find. If you do use a stainless steel pan for this recipe just make sure to do the old fashioned trick of buttering the muffin tin first so the brownie will not stick. (affiliate)
- Use your favorite cherry jelly or preserves for the cherry whipped cream but just know that the preserves will have more whole cherry chunks which makes piping the whipped cream just a little bit more challenging. I would recommend using these decorating tips and these decorating bags.
- The #1 tip for making flavored whipped cream is to chill both the bowl and beaters in the freezer for at least a half hour before whipping. Also beat the the whipping cream just until it starts to become thick and then add the chilled cherry jelly. Continue whipping until it reaches a desired thickness for piping onto the brownie bites.
- If you are making these Black Forest Bites outside of cherry season garnish with a little shaved chocolate instead.
Black Forest Bites
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 lg eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour *unsifted
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cups cherry jelly or preserves *chilled
- fresh cherries or shaved chocolate for garnish
Preheat oven to 350℉ and place a mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer (for whipping cream later). If using a stainless steel mini muffin pan grease with butter otherwise spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Mix together oil, sugar and vanilla in a medium size mixing bowl. Add eggs and beat well. In a separate bowl mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to egg mixture until well blended. Place a heaping tablespoon in each muffin cup, filling the cup 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 15 mins. Let cool almost completely before removing from mini muffin pan and fully before frosting.
Meanwhile pull bowl and beater from freezer. Add whipping cream to chilled bowl and beat just until cream starts to thicken, about 2 mins. Add chilled preserves and continue whipping until cream reaches desired thickness, about another 2-3 mins. Add cream to pipping bag with favorite pipping tip and pipe onto each brownie bite.
Garnish each bite with a fresh cherry or shaved chocolate. Store in refrigerator or serve immediately.
Recipe Notes*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.*
If you love decadent desserts check out these recipes: