Secrets to making the best Baked Pita Chips that are crispy and full of flavor. Perfectly seasoned, these chips work great as a healthy snack.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
Years ago I had my first Pita Chip and I was in heaven!
Probably a little bit too much of heaven, because it was really hard to stop eating them.
The other challenge, they were cooked in canola oil and if you have been hanging around any of my recipes then you know how adverse I am to canola and/or vegetable oil.
Here is the beauty though, Pita Chips are so easy to make at home with your favorite flavors.
Once you try them for the first time, I am pretty sure you will be hooked also.
Tips On How To Make Healthy Oven Baked Pita Chips
- Start by using your favorite healthy pita bread. There are so many different varieties on the market ranging from gluten free to whole wheat and even flax oat bran pita breads.
- This is my favorite healthy high heat oil. Here is a secret, Costco has this brand at a much better price.
- Cut each pita bread into 8-10 pieces.
- Lay slices onto two cookie sheets in a single layer, making sure they do not overlap. This will allow the pita slices to crisp up well.
- This tool will help to brush the oil mixture onto both sides of the chips. Once the first side is done, flip over the pita slices and brush the remaining oil on the second side.
- Rotate cookie sheets from top to bottom halfway through baking. This will prevent one cookie sheet from over baking.
- Baking times will vary (especially if using a convection oven) however most pita chips will be done within 12 minutes.
Other Seasoning Flavors For Baked Pita Chips
I love using smoked paprika for its rich smokey flavor but if you don’t have the smoked variety on hand (and I highly recommend not using regular paprika) here are other flavors to substitute the paprika with.
- 1-2 tbsp Za’atar Spice
- 1-2 tbsp Sumac Spice
- 1-2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander and 1/4- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
Pro Tip: With all these spice alternatives, the salt, garlic powder and pepper may need to be altered depending on taste preferences. Start with 1 tbsp of spice and add accordingly. More can always be added but if too much spice is added, it is difficult to adjust.
Commonly Asked Questions About Baked Pita Chips
What do you eat Pita Chips with?
These homemade Pita Chips work well with Avocado Hummus, Tzatziki Sauce, on top of a salad in place of croutons or as the base of Greek Nachos. Also, they are super tasty with dips like Lemon Artichoke Dip and Hot or Cold Crab Veggie Dip.
Pro Tip: If making Greek Nachos, this Greek Chicken is super tasty as the protein source.
How do I store Baked Pita Chips?
Store Pita Chips that are completely cooled in a sealable plastic bag or in an airtight container.
How long do Baked Pita Chips last?
If stored properly, (see above question) Homemade Pita Chips will last approximately 3-4 days and still taste great.
More Fun Snacks and Appetizers
Bruschetta with Balsamic Reduction
Baked Pita Chips
- 6 large pita breads *white, whole wheat or gluten-free
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Cut each pita bread into 8 pieces. Lay flat, single layer onto 2 large sided cookie sheets, making sure there is room around the pieces.
- Mix together oil and spices. Using a pastry brush, brush each triangle with oil mixture. Turn the pieces over and repeat.
- Bake until crispy, about 10-14 mins making sure to rotate cookie sheets from top to bottom halfway through. Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheets.
Sharon Laverentz says
This recipe makes wonderful chips! It’s easy, quick and delicious.
Yay! I am so happy to hear that Sharon. Thank you for taking the time to rate the recipe.
Kim Wonders says
Absolutely love this recipe, quick, easy and delicious! A great way to use excess pita bread and not have it go to waste.
I am so happy to hear this and great tip!!