Grilled Veggie Sandwich has grilled yellow squash, portobello mushrooms, sautéed bell peppers, zesty hummus, goat cheese, tomatoes, avocados and onions all in a French baguette.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
Everyone who is excited about football starting this week raise your hand (me jumping up and down with my hand in the air). Ok, so it’s only preseason but when you have been waiting 6 months, that doesn’t matter. Football season means that fall and pumpkins galore are right around the corner. It also means the season of junk food starts.
I will be the first to admit that I have nervously devoured a huge amount of chips and dip while watching my Chargers blow the game one too many times (still love my boys in blue and gold though). When you are trying to eat on the healthier side, game day can bring strong mixed emotions. On one hand, you just want to enjoy yourself and not worry about it, and on the other hand, you have been working so hard and this one day can send you spiraling out of control. The good news is this Grilled Veggie Sandwich recipe will allow you to feast on game day and be free and clear of guilt. The grilled veggies are what puts this sandwich in a class of its own with their smoky delightfulness and their high nutritional density.
Variations of Grilled Veggie Sandwich
Here are some tasty variations you could try with this grilled veggie sandwich:
- Use Different Breads- Try a ciabatta roll, focaccia, naan or other artisan bread instead of the baguette for different flavors and textures.
- Add Cheese- Mix in slices of swiss, cheddar, feta or goat cheese for extra creaminess and flavor.
- Include Fresh Herbs- Add chopped basil, cilantro or dill into the hummus or goat cheese spread for a flavor boost.
- Swap The Spreads- Rather than hummus and goat cheese, try avocado spread, pesto, baba ganoush or olive tapenade.
- Add Plant-Based Protein- Grilled tofu, tempeh or seitan would make it more of a veggie main meal.
- Change Up The Veggies- Substitute or add grilled eggplant, corn, carrots, spinach or other in-season produce.
- Drizzle With Oil And Vinegar- Top the layered sandwich with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Add Nuts Or Seeds- Sprinkle on roasted almonds, pepitas or sunflower seeds for some crunch.
Adding Hummus for Flavor and Nutrition
- Creaminess- The smooth, creamy texture of hummus contrasts nicely with the crunchy fresh veggies and bread. It adds moisture and balances the sandwich
- Protein- Chickpeas are high in plant-based protein, so hummus provides a nutritious boost.
- Flavor- The earthy, nutty, savory flavor of hummus complements the mix of grilled veggies without overpowering them. Tahini- The sesame tahini in hummus pairs well with the flavor of the grilled mushrooms and onions.
- Tanginess- The lemon juice in hummus brightens up the sandwich with some fresh acidity to cut through the richer flavors.
- Spreadability- Hummus can be spread easily on bread or veggies, making it a sandwich-friendly consistency.
- Vegetarian- It fits with the vegetarian theme of the sandwich, providing plenty of flavor without any meat.
Tips about Grilled Veggie Sandwich:
- Grilling is a kick back, have a beer, and enjoy yourself style of cooking so my biggest suggestion is to give yourself plenty of time before the game to finish.
- Chosen Foods Avocado Oil is wonderful high heat oil perfect for grilling. Costco by far has the best price at $9.99 for the large bottle or you can purchase though the previous link. (affiliate)
- The cutting of the yellow summer squash and onions will be extremely easy if done with a mandolin. If you don’t have a mandolin, not to worry. Try to cut the yellow squash about 1/4 inch thickness so not to be too big in the sandwich and not so thin it disintegrates on the grill. (affiliate)
- I absolutely love my cast iron indoor grill for those times when it is pouring rain outside. I use it for everything from pancakes, bacon, meat and veggies. Only advice is to turn on your exhaust fan and open a window when using it for meats and veggies. (affiliate)
- Once the veggies are cooked, the assembly of the sandwich is extremely easy. If you decide to use goat cheese, a tip for easy application is to cut the bread in half and grill face down for a minute or two, or long enough to warm the bread. Apply the goat cheese while the bread it still warm and it will spread with ease. Or if you prefer your bread not grilled just pop the goat cheese in the microwave for 10 seconds on power level 5.
- Spread the hummus on one side of the bread and the cheese on the other. Pack that sandwich with veggies and remember, you will need a napkin.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of bread works best?
A crusty artisan style bread like a baguette or ciabatta holds up well when grilling, provides a nice crunch, and won’t fall apart when layered with the veggie fillings. Focaccia or rustic bread are other great options.
Can I grill the sandwich after assembling it?
Yes, you can certainly grill or panini press the assembled sandwich to toast the bread and melt the cheeses if desired. Just be careful not to overcook the vegetables. 2-3 minutes per side should suffice.
What’s the best way to slice the bread?
Use a serrated bread knife to slice the loaf lengthwise down the center. This exposes the soft inner crumb and creates two long halves for sandwich building.
How do I prevent the bread from getting soggy?
Avoid overloading wet vegetables like tomato and avocado. Spread hummus and/or cheese over both bread halves to create a barrier. Store assembled sandwiches with wax paper between the layers.
What are other veggies that could be used?
Here are some other tasty veggie options you could include in this grilled veggie sandwich recipe:
- Zucchini- Put in slices of zucchini which grill up quickly and add moisture.
- Asparagus- Include the fresh flavor of grilled asparagus spears.
- Corn- Grilled corn on the cob or corn kernels would be a sweet, summery addition.
- Carrots- Slices of carrots grill up with nice char lines.
- Jalapeños- Add some spice and crunch with grilled jalapeño slices.
- Artichoke hearts- Hearts lend a meaty, robust flavor when grilled.
- Beets- Bring vibrant color and earthiness to the sandwich with grilled beet slices.
How long can I store the assembled sandwiches before the bread gets soggy?
For best results, it’s ideal to eat the sandwiches right after assembling them. However, you can store assembled grilled veggie sandwiches in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours maximum before the bread starts becoming soggy.
Here are some tips for storing the sandwiches:
- Place wax paper between each sandwich layer when stacking to prevent moisture transfer.
- Wrap the entire sandwich stack tightly in plastic wrap. This helps retain moisture.
- Store the wrapped stack in a sealed container or zip top bag in the fridge.
- Avoid ingredients that release a lot of moisture like juicy tomatoes or wet vegetables.
- If storing for over 8 hours, toast or re-grill the sandwich before eating to crispen it up.
With proper storage methods, you can enjoy your veggie grill sandwiches for up to 24 hours without compromising too much on the bread’s crispy texture. But for peak freshness and crunch, your best bet is to eat them immediately after assembling.
Can I make and grill the veggies in advance? How should I store them?
Yes, you can absolutely grill the vegetable components of the sandwich in advance. This allows you to prep all the ingredients ahead of time.
Here are some tips for storing grilled vegetables:
- Make sure the vegetables are completely cooled before storing.
- Place the grilled veggies in sealable containers, separating ones that may release more moisture.
- For items prone to sogginess like grilled eggplant or zucchini, store in paper towel lined containers.
- Use airtight glass or plastic containers. Mason jars also work great.
- Add a splash of olive oil and vinegar to help prevent veggies from drying out.
- Store the containers of grilled veggies in the refrigerator for 3-5 days maximum.
- When ready to assemble sandwiches, let veggies come to room temp or reheat briefly in a skillet.
With proper refrigeration, you can store your chopped and grilled vegetables for several days before building your tasty sandwiches.
What side dishes work with this recipe?
Here are some side dishes and items that would pair nicely with this grilled veggie sandwich:
- Potato Salad- Creamy potato salad provides a cool, tangy counterpart to the savoriness of the sandwich. This Skinny Red Potato Salad recipe pairs well.
- Pasta Salad- Chilled pasta salads with vinaigrette, such as Summer Pasta Salad and Mediterranean Risoni Salad match the Mediterranean flavors.
- Chips and Guacamole- Crispy tortilla chips and creamy Guacamole offer crunch and freshness.
- Tomato Soup- A bowl of Tomato Basil Soup completes this meal.
- Fruit Salad- Fresh melon, berries, and citrus fruits add sweetness.
- Coleslaw- A light, vinegar-based Simple Coleslaw cuts through the richness.
Grilled Veggie Sandwich
- 1 tbsp avocado oil +extra for brushing on veggies
- 3-4 med yellow summer squash
- 3 med portobello mushrooms
- 3 bell peppers *cut into strips
- 1 med red onion *cut into sandwich slices
- 1 med tomato *cut into sandwich slices
- 1 lg avocado *sliced
- 1/2 cup hummus
- small container goat cheese
- 1 baguette or French bread
- Preheat grill to a medium high heat.
- In a medium sized frying pan over med/high heat add 1 tbs avocado oil and sauté cut bell peppers for 15 mins. Set aside.
- Cut squash into 1/4 inch steak slices with a mandolin or by hand with a sharp knife. Cut mushrooms in 1/2 inch slices. Drizzle or brush oil. Work in batches grilling veggies to a tender consistency, achieving grill marks, approximately 6 minutes per side (depending on grill).
- Slice baguette and grill face down for about 2 mins or until warmed. Spread hummus on one side of bread and goat cheese on the other side of the bread. Layer all veggies in order that is most appealing to you. Close sandwich and cut into pieces for serving. Enjoy!!
If you love healthy decadent meals than check out these recipes: