Packed with flavor and so incredibly easy to make, this Steak Pizzaiola is great for weeknights, date nights or if you want to impress company. Crusty garlic bread slices are topped with mozzarella cheese, then covered in tender streak and flavorful Pizzaiola Sauce.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 lb loaf Tuscan bread
- 4 tbsp butter *half stick1/2
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Steak Pizzaiola Sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs Beef Top Round Steak or Top Sirloin Steak *cut into 6 individual servings
- salt & pepper *for steak, lightly on both sides
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2-3 anchovy fillets *minced
- 14 Kalamata olives *diced
- 2 tsp capers *left whole
- 2 tbsp minced garlic *about 4-6 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp red chilli pepper flakes
- 1- 28oz can San Marazano tomatoes *add juice also
- 1 cup fresh oregano *roughly chopped
- 4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary *roughly chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 12 slices mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 425℉. Melt butter by either placing in a small sauce pan over low heat or in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave on power level 4 until melted. (Start with 2 mins and slowly add on more.)Once melted stir in salt and garlic powder to the butter and stir well. Spread butter mixture onto 1 side of bread and lay flat on cookie sheet. Bake for 10 mins or until toasted. Remove from oven and set aside.
Heat a large frying pan over high heat and lightly salt and pepper steaks on both sides. See notes below to know when pan is ready.Once pan is heated, sear steaks for approximately 2 mins per side (a nice brown crust should form). Remove steaks from pan and set aside.
Reduce heat to med/high. Deglaze pan with wine and add anchovies, olives and capers. Simmer for approximatley 2-3 mins making sure to scrape down all browned bits.
Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, dried oregano and chilli pepper flakes. Simmer for about 1-2 mins.
Add in the full can of San Marazano tomatoes making sure to break apart whole tomaotes using the back of a spatula. Bring to a simmer for approximately 5 mins, stirring often.
Stir in fresh herbs. Submerge steaks into sauce and continue simmerring for an addittional 3-4 mins.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.
- For a lighter version of garlic bread, slice bread and spray with a healthy cooking spray. Sprinkle lightly with salt and garlic powder and then bake.
- When searing steaks, the pan is ready when the oil starts to have motion in the pan and when the tip of the steak is placed in the pan and makes a sizzling noise. If there is no sizzling noise let the pan heat up a little longer. Be careful to not let the pan get to the smoking point.
- The steak thickness should be approximately 3/4 of an inch. If thicker steaks are used, searing times will increase slightly.
- Black olives may be substituted for Kalamata olives.
- If sensitive to oregano, lower dried oregano to 1 1/2 tsp and replace fresh oregano with Italian parsley.
Calories: 1210kcal | Carbohydrates: 169g | Protein: 75g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 133mg | Sodium: 3628mg | Potassium: 6339mg | Fiber: 39g | Sugar: 89g | Vitamin A: 4927IU | Vitamin C: 184mg | Calcium: 1041mg | Iron: 29mg