Chorizo Pinto Bean Soup
Chorizo Pinto Bean Soup is a simple healthy dinner perfect for the colder months. With garlic, onion, tomatoes and Mexican Chorizo, this soup is loaded with flavor and comfort. Pre-cook the beans for a super easy weeknight dinner.
Servings 8 servings
- 2 cups dry pinto beans *or 1 lb
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 lg brown onion *diced, aboout 2 cups
- 1/2 batch Homemade Chorizo *or 1 lb Mexican Chorizo
- 1/2 tbsp oregano *either Mexican or regular
- 1/2 tbsp coriander
- 4 lg garlic cloves *minced or crushed, about 2 tbsp
- 14 oz can diced canned tomatoes with juice *or 15 oz can
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lg lime juiced *about 2 tbsp
- salt and pepper to taste
- crumbled cotija cheese
- fresh sliced jalapeño
Cooking Beans in Instant Pot
Pinto Bean Soup
Preheat a dutch oven over med/high heat. Add oil and onions. Sauté until lightly browned, about 15 mins.
Add Chorizo and sauté until cooked, about 10 mins.
Add in oregano and coriander. Continue sautéing for an additional min.
Stir in tomatoes, broth and drained beans. Bring to a simmer over med/high heat and lower temperature to low. Cover and simmer for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally.
Garnish with avocado, cilantro, cotija cheese or slice jalapeño.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.
- Cooking time is for the soup. An additional 90 mins will need to be added for Instant Pot cooking of the dried beans. Additionally, 2 extra hours for stovetop and 8-10 extra hours for crockpot cooking.
- For stovetop and crockpot instructions for cooking dried pinto beans see above within post "Cooking Pinto Beans".
- If using canned beans 3 15 1/2 oz cans will be needed. Make sure to drain and rinse the canned beans.
- If using fresh tomatoes, 6 large whole tomatoes that are diced will be needed. An additional 5 mins of simmering time may be needed to fully cook the tomatoes.
- Natural release on an Instant Pot simply means letting it sit past the allotted time of cooking. In other words, once the Instant Pot as reached the 30 mins of cook time, just let it sit for an additional 30 mins.
- Quick release means using a long handled spoon to carefully turn the valve from sealed to venting. This is the point that steam can be released so it is very important to use a long handled spoon to keep your hands away form the hot steam.
Calories: 236kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 1078mg | Potassium: 1609mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 842IU | Vitamin C: 74mg | Calcium: 253mg | Iron: 8mg