Light and refreshing, California Shrimp Ceviche makes a perfect appetizer or meal replacement. A wonderful companion to healthy chips or stuffed in a lettuce leaf.
The first time I had this dish, it was made by my dear friend Cynthia many years ago. Her version is a bit different but just as phenomenal. I fell head over heals in love with it the minute it hit my lips. So in love that I can eat California Shrimp Ceviche by the bucket full and I practically did at my wedding. I had all of my bridesmaids chopping cilantro, shrimp and cucumbers the night before our wedding. I am so glad they were such great sports about it because this California Shrimp Ceviche along with the on site hand made tortillas were a huge hit. That is how we roll here in Southern California, taco trucks and ceviche take the place of the typical ‘chicken or beef’.
Tips about California Shrimp Ceviche:
- Adding 8 oz crab meat or imitation crab in addition to the shrimp tastes wonderful.
- For a bit creamier version add 1/4 cup of mayonnaise. This is how I had it the first time my friend Cynthia made it and this version is wonderful laid over a fried corn tortilla.
- Not only is this California Shrimp Ceviche a guilt free appetizer when healthy chips are added, but it also can be a guilt free lunch when stuffed into a lettuce leaf. Eating it will be the most fun you have at lunch time in a long time.
California Shrimp Ceviche
- 1 lb large cooked shrimp *roughly diced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 small jalapeño *diced deseed to lower heat
- 1/2 lg red onion *finely diced about 3/4 cup
- 1 lb sugar plum tomatoes or 2 lg tomatoes *diced
- 1 lg English cucumbers *peeled deseeded & diced
- 1 bunch cilantro *finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves *diced or crushed
- 2 large Hass avocados *peeled & cut into cubes
- salt & pepper to taste
Prepare all ingredients and place into a large mixing bowl. Gently mix until combined. Serve with healthy chips or stuffed into a lettuce leaf.
Inspired by my dear friend Cynthia.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible and wild caught shrimp.*
This recipe is part of Meal Plan Monday.
If you love this recipe than you will love these recipe: