Chocolate Almond Butter Muffins are fluffy and chocolatey with hints of almond butter and creamy chocolate chips. Extra nutrition is packed in with oatmeal, flaxseed and wheat germ.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
We have been in a muffin phase over here at my house. It started with trying to figure out nutritious food my husband could bring with him on the road. Food that didn’t need to be heated and was extremely easy. You see my husband is a truck driver, driving for trade shows. He needs simplicity and I need to know he is eating well. I came up with a pretty decent list and I had him circle what he felt would work best. Muffins definitely ranked towards the top for him. So I had a mission to come up with a great tasting muffin that I felt good about him eating. What I came up with is my Happy Morning Blueberry Muffin (coming soon).
All while making these muffins, my brother Tommy had the inspirational thought, “how would a chocolate almond butter muffin taste?” He created a recipe and his first attempt tasted great. I, of course, wanted just a bit more nutrition. We worked together and tweaked the recipe by adding in flaxseed meal and wheat germ. The result was these wonderfully healthy and fluffy Chocolate Almond Butter Muffins.
I absolutely believe that there is a strong need out there for gluten free recipes for celiacs (people allergic to wheat, rye and barley) and people who are gluten sensitive. Sadly, with the awareness of this need, we have forgotten how nutritious elements of wheat can be, namely wheat germ. Wheat germ provides protein, fiber, folate, vitamin E, thiamine, manganese, selenium, B6, potassium and omega-3 fatty acids 1. Wheat germ also has a wonderfully nutty taste, which goes perfectly with these Chocolate Almond Butter Muffins.
These beauties have become a staple in our house when we want a quick and easy breakfast or as a dessert when the chocolate cravings hit. Don’t let the amount of baking powder scare you. It aids in creating beautifully fluffy muffins. Bake a batch and share with friends. They will love you for it.
Chocolate Almond Butter Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar *packed
- 1/4 cup baking oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 lg eggs
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 tbsp wheat germ
- Preheat oven to 375℉
- Either spray muffins tins with non stick spray or line with baking cups
- Combine all dry ingredients (except sugar) and set aside. In a separate bowl mix oil, sugar, almond butter until well combined. Add milk and eggs and stir until combined. Gradually add dry ingredients into wet, mixing until just combined, scraping down sides occasionally. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tins. Batter will come almost to the top. Bake at 375℉ for 10 minutes and then lower the temperature to 350℉ and bake for another 10-15 minutes. Check doneness with toothpick inserted into center of muffin. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove and finishing cooling on cooling rack.
- Using two different temperatures for baking aids in the rising of the muffin. The amount of baking powder helps in creating beautifully fluffy muffins.
If you love chocolate check out these recipes: