The perfect marriage of savory spices to a subtle sweetness makes this Chicken Sweet Potato Curry a favorite time and time again.
The last three weeks or so has been a little crazy around here and I say crazy for lack of a better description. My grandmother passed away and about a week later my dad was hospitalized. Thankfully he is doing much better and since his release I have been on a fast track of pumping him full of nutritious food because that is what I do. I wanted to create a meal centered around sweet potatoes for their valuable nutrient content and also a meal that had enough protein in it to help him on his road to recovery. This Chicken Sweet Potato Curry was born. I made a big pot and sent all but one serving to him. Now as I am staring at this beautiful bowl of curry I am kind of bummed I didn’t make more. It was that delicious.
Tips about Chicken Sweet Potato Curry:
- I used 4 medium sized fresh tomatoes for this Chicken Sweet Potato Curry recipe. Diced, they equaled about 2 cups. Use a 28 oz can including the juice of the tomatoes if you are substituting diced canned tomatoes.
- I love sweet potatoes for their incredible health benefits and they add an extra layer of satisfaction to this curry.
- Here are my favorite spices used in this Chicken Sweet Potato Curry: Simply Organic Curry, Simply Organic Garam Masala, and Simply Organic Cumin. (affiliate)
- If your final product is not thickened to your liking, make a slurry with 1 tbsp of flour and a small amount of liquid from the curry. Stir into the curry and let simmer for about 2-3 minutes before adding the cilantro. Use almond or coconut flour for a gluten free alternative.
- Serve this over rice (brown or white), quinoa or eat eat just by itself. I ate it like a soup and I was happy as can be.
Chicken Sweet Potato Curry
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 med onion *cut into 1/4's & then strips about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 med sweet potatoes *diced about 2 1/2 cups
- 3-4 med tomatoes *diced about 2 cups
- 3-4 lg garlic cloves *diced or crushed
- 1- 1 1/4 lb chicken thighs *cubed
- 1 1/2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp curry
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 13-14 oz can coconut milk
- juice of 1 lime *about 1 tbsp
- 1/2 bunch cilantro *roughly diced
- 1 tbsp flour *optional to thicken see notes above for gluten free options
Peel and dice potatoes-set aside. Dice tomatoes, cut onion, chicken and prepare garlic.
Heat a dutch oven or med sized soup pan over med-high heat. Add oil and sauté onion until sweating, about 2 mins. Add diced potatoes, sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes, chicken, garlic, spices, salt, coconut milk and lime juice. Bring to a slow simmer stirring occasionally, about 5 mins. Cover and reduce heat to med-low. Simmer for 20- 25 mins stirring occasionally.
Add cilantro the last 5 mins cooking and at this time make a slurry with flour and a small amount of curry liquid. Stir into curry and simmer for about 3 mins. (Flour step is optional as a means to thicken curry.)
Serve over rice, quinoa or by itself.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.* Inspired by Jessica in the Kitchen.
This recipe is part of Meal Plan Monday.
If You Love Asian flavors check out these recipes.