Mom’s Frozen Peanut Butter Pie is always a hit at family get togethers no matter the time of year. This super easy old fashioned pie is a recipe you can count on again and again to bring smiles to everyone.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
Coming up with ideas that everyone will love for family dinners and desserts can sometimes be extremely challenging.
The one dessert that makes everyone smile though is my Mom’s Frozen Peanut Butter Pie.
I made two of these pie for Thanksgiving and I quickly learned that I will probably not only need to make this for every holiday moving forward, but also make three of these pies instead of just two.
My sister in law loved it so much I let her take one whole pie home and my husband has been sneaking a piece here and there today.
Truly, my only concern is…I want another piece before its all gone (insert crying face)!
On a more serious note though, as long as no-one is allergic to peanuts, this is truly one of the BEST family pie recipes around.
How To Make Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie
This no bake pie is not only delicious, but also incredibly easy to make. Simply follow these steps.
- Grind chocolate cookie and mix with sugar and melted butter.
- Press into a 9 inch pie pan and refrigerate.
- Mix ice cream with peanut butter and heavy whipping cream.
- Pour into pie shell and top with 1 tbsp of cookie crumble and peanuts.
- Freeze. Remove from freezer 15 mins before serving.
Peanut Butter Pie Crust
The easiest way to make the pie crust is to purchase a 7 oz package of chocolate animal cookies (without frosting) and process into crumbs using a food processor. If a food processor is unavailable place the cookies into a freezer bag and gently pound with a rolling pin until crumbs form. Mix the crumbs with sugar and melted butter. Grease a 9 inch pie pan with butter and then press the cookie mixture into the pie pan using the back of a wooden spoon.
Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Making peanut butter ice cream is as simple as mixing a good quality vanilla ice cream with peanut butter. For this recipe heavy whipping cream is added to help form the extra luxurious consistency.
Extra Peanut Buttery Ice Cream
We are peanut butter ice cream lovers in my house and so often I need to make this pie just a little more peanut buttery. To do so I add an additional 1/4 cup of Laura Scudder’s Nutty Peanut Butter (total 3/4 cup). This step is optional and only needed if your family adores peanut butter.
How To Softened Ice Cream
To softened ice cream simply leave on your kitchen counter until desired softness is achieved (usually soft serve consistency). The total time will depend on the time of year. In winter it may take about 15-30 mins to softened and in summer only 5-10 minutes.
Additional Toppings For Mom’s Frozen Peanut Butter Pie
- Peanut Butter Candy Cups
- Chocolate Drizzles
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Drizzled Melted Peanut Butter
- Chocolate Covered Peanuts
- Mini Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Chips
Fun Flavor Variations
S’mores- Graham cracker crust with chopped chocolate and marshmallow in the filling.
Cookies & Cream- Oreo cookie crust with crumbled Oreos in filling.
Chocolate Peanut Butter- Add chocolate chips or cocoa powder to the filling.
Caramel Peanut- Swirl caramel sauce into peanut butter filling.
Banana Peanut Butter- Layer sliced bananas in the bottom of the crust.
Berry Peanut Butter- Mix berry jam into the filling.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of cookie for the crust?
Absolutely! While the recipe calls for chocolate cookies, you can get creative and use graham crackers, Oreo cookies, or any other coolie of your choice.
Is it possible to make this pie without peanuts for allergies?
Of course! If you or someone you’re serving has a peanut allergy, you can omit the peanuts as topping or substitute them with chopped almonds, pecans, or even chocolate chips for a delightful twist.
Do I need to use an actual pie plate or can I use a disposable one?
You can use a disposable pie pan or tin foil pan. Just make sure to generously grease it so the crust doesn’t stick.
How long does the pie last in the freezer?
It will keep well wrapped in the freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
Chocolate Cookie Crust
- 7 oz chocolate cookies *crumbled about 1 1/2 cups, remove 1 tbsp for topping
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter *melted
- 1 qt vanilla ice cream *softened
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
Chocolate Cookie Crust
- Place chocolate cookies into a food processor and process into cookie crumbles. Set aside 1 tbsp as a topping for the pie.
- In a small bowl stir together the sugar and cookie crumbs. Pour melted butter over crumbles and stir well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9 inch pie plate. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- In a bowl combine ice cream, peanut butter and heavy whipping cream. Mix with a hand mixer until well processed, about 3-5 mins. Pour into pie shell and top with cookie crumbles and peanuts. Place in freezer.
- Remove from freezer 15 minutes before cutting.