Ultra Creamy Nacho Cheese creates the tastiest and smoothest homemade cheese sauce. Comes together in just under 10 minutes and leftovers heat up just as creamy as when first made.
Ultra Creamy Nacho Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
Question for you. Am I the only one who every once in awhile gets a full blown craving for nacho cheese?
In the past, I absolutely hated when that craving would hit.
Why you ask?
Because every time I would make the nacho cheese at home it would turn out too thick and buying the overly processed pre-made bottle of nacho goo would make me cringe just thinking about the ingredients.
Well my friends, one night this last month when the cravings hit me hard, I made Nacho Cheese with the ingredients I had on hand and I immediately felt like I struck gold.
This recipe has the perfect balance of flavor to creaminess and the smooth texture is absolutely perfect.
Since then I have made it multiple times and each time it is a success.
So, if you are like me and love the indulgence of Nacho Cheese but don’t want to feel like you are eating chemicals out of a jar, then this recipe is for you!
Best Cheese For Nachos
If looking for an ultra creamy texture Jack cheese is the way to go. However, my personal preference is to use a combination of Colby Jack and Pepper Jack cheese for not only the smooth texture, but also the extra flavor these variations add.
Nacho Cheese Ingredients
The secret to making ultra creamy Nacho Cheese is not only the type of cheese used, but also the portion of a lower amount of flour to butter and the use of half and half instead of milk. Also, the spices add in a wonderful flavor making this recipe absolutely irresistible.
- 1 1/2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander
- Pinch of Chipotle Powder (optional, see next section below for variations)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 1/2 cups Half and Half
- 1 cup Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1 cup Colby Jack Cheese
How To Make Spicy Nacho Cheese
- To add a mild to medium heat use this highly rated brand of chili powder.
- For an even deeper level of heat increase the chipotle powder from 1/2- 1 tsp.
- Cayenne pepper can replace chipotle powder if unavailable.
- Add 1- 2 tbsp hot sauce to the half and half.
How To Make Homemade Nacho Cheese Dip
- Measure flour and spices into a small bowl. Mix well.
- Grate cheese and set aside.
- Measure half and half. Set aside.
- Place butter in a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat. Once melted add in flour mixture.
- Whisking consistently, cook flour and butter mixture until bubbling around edges, about 3-4 mins.
- Slowly whisk in half and half. Cook until simmering for approximately 2 mins.
- Add in half of the cheese and stir well. Once melted add in remaining cheese.
- Stir well and cook until cheese is fully melted, about 2 mins.
More Family Friendly Mexican Recipes
Additional Appetizer Recipes You’ll Love
Ultra Creamy Nacho Cheese
Creamy and flavorful, this recipe creates the Best Homemade Nacho Cheese. Pour over your favortie chips for the ultimate treat with nachos or as an appetizer.
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/16 tsp chipotle powder *optional (about a pinch)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 cup half & half
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack Cheese
Into a small bowl add flour, salt, pepper and spices. Mix well.
Grate and measure cheese and measure flour. Set aside.
Place a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat and add butter. Once melted add in flour mixture. Whisking consistently, cook flour and butter mixture until bubbling around edges, about 3-4 mins.
Slowly whisk in half and half. Cook until simmering for approximately 2 mins.
Add in half of the cheese and stir well. Once melted add in remaining cheese.
Stir well and cook until cheese is fully melted, about 2 mins.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.