Cherry Overnight Oats is an incredibly easy, healthy and luxurious breakfast meal prep recipe perfect for busy mornings. This recipe has vegan options and is loaded with the wholesome ingredients of chia seeds, flax and rolled oats.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
Basic Overnight Oats vs Cherry Overnight Oats
Basic overnight oats is a mixture of Rolled oats and milk or yogurt that is mixed together and refrigerated overnight. Super simple and quite basic. However, most people enjoy their oatmeal with a little more flavor.
These Cherry Overnight Oats provide all the wonderful health benefits of eating oatmeal while offering up a satisfying and flavorful breakfast. Because of the plump cherries, buttery pecans and sweet chocolate, these oats are like eating a super wholesome dessert for breakfast.
- Rolled Oats– Also known as old-fashioned oats, this version is the best oats for overnight oats because it softens beautifully overnight in the refrigerator while still holding its shape. It is important to note that quick oats may be substituted. However, they will often have a very mushy consistency the next day. Note: Steel-cut oats are not ideal for this recipe.
- Milk– Use your favorite milk of choice (see milk variations below). For this recipe I use flax milk because of its incredibly creamy texture and higher protein content.
- Cherries– Either frozen or fresh cherries may be used for this recipe. If using fresh, this cherry pitter will help prepare the cherries. However, I adore the frozen dark bing cherries from Costco because of the quality of these cherries and the affordable price.
- Chopped Pecans– Any chopped nut (see Nut Variations below) may be used in this recipe. However, I personally love the butteriness of pecans.
- Dark Chocolate Chips– Adding chocolate chips is completely optional. However, it is a very simple way to make these oats taste incredibly luxurious.
- Chia Seeds– The addittion of chia seeds in oatmeal adds a highly nutritious ingredient. Also, they help to thicken the oats, giving them a great texture.
- Real Vanilla Extract– This is the secret to making overnight oats taste even more amazing.
- Sweetener– Some will feel that adding a sweetener is not essential. However, adding a small amount will help with the overall satisfaction of overnight oats. (See “Sweetener Variations” section below.)
The beauty of overnight oatmeal is that it is such an incredibly nutritious and easy breakfast to make also has about a 1,000 different variations both with flavor and ingredients. Here are a few optional ingredients.
Replace in equal parts any of the milk options listed below. To keep this recipe vegan use the non-dairy milk options.
- Flax Milk
- Almond Milk
- Oat Milk
- Soy Milk
- Cashew Milk
- Coconut Milk ( I do recommend to use canned evaporated coconut milk. This version of coconut milk is rich and creamy but does not have the solidified coconut cream.)
- Regular Cows Milk
Any of the following nut options taste delicious in these overnight oats.
- Brazil Nuts
- Macadamia Nuts
- Nut Butters (1-2 tbsp of Peanut Butter or Almond Butter)
- Pure Maple Syrup
- Stevia (If using stevia a much smaller amount than the recipe call for should be used.)
- Brown Sugar
- Dates (either minced or blended with the milk)
Additional Healthy Add Ons
When healthy eating is a top priority adding 1 tablespoon of the ingredients below helps to boost the nutritional values of this recipe.
- Cacao Powder
- Cinnamon (1 teaspoon)
- Oat Bran
- Ground Flax Seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
Note: These are great options to boost nutritional values. However, a small amount additional milk may be needed when these are added.
How To Make Cherry Overnight Oats
- In a 3 cup container with a lid add all of the ingredients.
- Mix well and cover with lid.
- Refrigerate overnight and stir well before eating.
Commonly Asked Questions
Should this meal prep breakfast recipe be made in a mason jar?
You are more than welcome to make this recipe in a mason jar. Mason jars are definitely beautiful and often will allow for a bit longer of shelf life. However, I personally like using glass storage containers with lids because it makes it easier to stir the ingredients.
How long will this overnight oats recipe last in the refrigerator?
When stored properly overnight oats can last up to 5 days in the refrigerator. However, I have noticed that this recipe tastes the freshest when eaten within 2-3 days.
Is yogurt needed to make this oats breakfast?
No, yogurt is not needed. However, 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt can be added the next morning for extra creaminess.
What is the best way to lower calories on this oatmeal recipe?
To lower the calories eliminate the chocolate chips and pecans. This will keep the oatmeal at about 360 calories per serving.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
Cherry Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pitted cherries See Note #1 below
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla See Note #2 below
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup flax milk See Note #3 below
- In a 3 cup container with a lid add oats, chia seeds, pecans, chocolate chips, cherries, vanilla, sugar and milk.
- Stir well and cover with lid. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 5 hours.
- Before eating remove lid and stir well. This recipe will remain fresh and tasty for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.