This Apple Crisp recipe has a homemade apple pie filling and the most addictive crumble topping made of oats, cinnamon and chopped pecans. Loaded with flavor and an extra crispy topping, this fall dessert does not disappoint.
Apple Crisp is a wonderful dessert served at the end of a Fall feast of Beef and Dumplings, Apple Pecan Salad and Sourdough Garlic Bread. Of course the addittion of an Autumn Punch makes for an even more enjoyable evening.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
What Makes This the Best Apple Crisp Recipe?
In a nut shell, this Apple Crisp is like a warm hug form Grandma.
The tender baked apples are very similar to apple pie filling with a crunchy and nutty topping that is full of a warm cinnamon flavor. Top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and it is an easy fall dessert that makes a big impact.
Best Apples for Apple Crisp
With this recipe tart apples such as Granny Smith or Braeburn will work the best. Here is a helpful breakdown between the two.
Granny Smith Apples– These apples are very easy to find in most grocery stores across the US and because of their tartness, make an excellent companion to the sweetness of this Crisp. Additionally, they hold their shape while becoming tender in baked form.
Braeburn Apples– These apples are very similar to Granny Smith but with a slightly sweeter flavor. This makes Braeburn apples an excellent choice also for this Apple Crisp recipe.
Apple Crisp Ingredients
These are the total amount of ingredients needed for both the apple filling and crumble topping.
- Granny Smith or Braeburn Apples (9 medium sized apples)
- All Purpose Flour (1 cup + 3 tablespoons)
- Brown Sugar (either light or dark, almost 1 full cup packed)
- Granulated Sugar (1/2 cup)
- Cinnamon (2 teaspoons)
- Nutmeg ( 1/4 teaspoon)
- All-Spice (1/4 teaspoon)
- Ginger (1/8 teaspoon)
- Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (1/2 cup)
- Baking Powder (1 teaspoon)
- Vanilla Extract (1 teaspoon)
- 1 large egg
- Chopped Pecans (1/2 cup)
- Butter, either unsalted or salted (6 tablespoons)
Step By Step Instructions
- Peel, core and cut apples into 1/4 inch slices. The quickest way to do this is to first peel the apples with a peeler. Once peeled a 16 slice apple slicer will quickly cut the apples into the desired thickness.
Pro Tip: If using a 8 slice apple slicer as seen in the photo below, the apple slices will need to be cut in half again.
- Combine apple slices with 3 tablespoons all purpose flour, 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, all-spice and ground ginger. The apples will naturally weep and become juicy.
- Add the apple slices to a 9 x 13 inch pan and evenly spread the slices across the pan.
- Preheat oven to 325℉ and in a medium sized mixing bowl add the ingredients for the Crisp Topping.
- Stir well until the the mixture becomes crumbly and the moisture from the egg and vanilla are well incorporated into the dry ingredients.
- Sprinkle crumble mixture over the top of sliced apples as evenly as possible.
- Melt the butter and drizzle over the top of the crumble mixture as evenly as possible. Do not worry if there are a few dry spots.
- Bake at 325℉ for 45 minutes and then raise the temperature to 400℉ for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving.
Freezing and Reheating Apple Crisp
The easiest way to freeze leftover Apple Crisp is to transfer to an oven safe freezer container and freeze up to 3 months. When ready to serve, remove the Crisp from the freezer and let defrost in the refrigerator over night. Bake in an 350℉ oven for approximately 20-25 minutes.
Can I leave the peel on the apples?
Yes, the peel may be left on the apples. However, many people prefer the texture of peeled apples over unpeeled. Whether to peel the apples or not really comes down to a personal preference.
Is there a way to make this a gluten-free crisp?
To make this a gluten free Apple Crisp replace the all purpose flour with this type of flour and make sure to purchase gluten-free rolled oats.
Can I use quick oats rather than old fashioned rolled oats?
Yes quick oats can replace old fashioned rolled oats in this recipe. However, the texture of the crumble topping will change slightly.
What should I serve this Crisp with?
Top with vanilla ice cream and Carmel sauce or with fresh homemade whipped cream. However, this Apple Crisp is absolutely amazing all by itself.
More Delicious Apple Recipes
If you enjoyed this Apple Crisp please let me know by leaving a comment and review below. Doing so helps to encourage others to make the recipe also. Thank you!
Apple Pie Filling
- 9 medium Granny Smith Apples *or Braeburn Apples
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar *packed, either light or dark sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon all-spice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar *packed, either light or dark sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons butter *melted
Apple Pie Filling
- In a large mixing bowl mix together filling ingredients with the exception of apples and mix well.
- Peel, core and cut apples into 1/4 inch slices. As the apples are cut add to mixing bowl and stir well. (Apples will naturally weep but this is good.) See Note #1 below.
- Transfer apple mixture to an ungreased 9 x 13 inch pan and evenly spread apples in pan.
- Preheat oven to 325℉.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl stir together the sugars, flour, cinnamon, oats, baking powder, pecans, egg and vanilla until the the mixture becomes crumbly and the moisture from the egg and vanilla are well incorporated into the dry ingredients
- Sprinkle crumble mixtue evenly over the top of the apples and drizzle melted butter over the top of the crumble topping.
- Bake for 45 mins at 325℉ and then raise the temperature to 400℉ and continue baking for another 15 mins or until crumble topping is golden brown.
- Let cool at rooom temperature for about 30 mins and serve with vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream.