These no-bake Chocolate Rum Balls are extremely easy to make and perfect for a fancy Holiday dinner party. Made with dark rum, pecans and cacao powder and then rolled in your choice of 7 coatings. A delicious adult Christmas boozy cookie.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
So what do you do when you want to have a special Christmas Cookie for the adults in your life but you don’t want to be in the kitchen for hours?
You make these Chocolate Rum Balls with your favorite coating (see coating options below).
I can’t even begin to tell you how incredibly easy these cookies are and couldn’t we use just a little more simplicity this time of year?
Honestly, I love impressing friends and family with my super delicious Chocolate Marzipan Cookies and Cocoa Cup Cookies. However, there is a significant time investment with those two cookies. When you need quick, easy and tasty, Rum Balls are the perfect fit.
Also, if you need a few more easy cookie recipes to complete your Christmas dessert table, then you have got to try my Mom’s Walnut Balls and Orange Cranberry Walnut Balls. They are simple to make and taste so good.
How To Make Chocolate Rum Balls
- Combine cookie crumbs, powdered sugar, chopped pecans and cacao powder in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add rum and honey.
- Stir until well combined. If dough is too wet…
- add an additional 2- 6 tbsp of cookie crumbs.
- Mix well.
- Roll in 1 inch balls.
- Roll rum balls in coating of choice (picture shows sparkling sugar).
Best Ingredients For No-Bake Rum Balls
The best ingredients for these Chocolate Rum Balls are the highest quality you can afford. However, there are two ingredients that do take these cookies to over the top delicious. The first is Zaya Rum which is a dark rum that has flavor hints of caramel, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and apple. This rum can be purchased in most liquor stores or larger grocery stores with robust liquor departments.
The second ingredient is Cacao Powder which is similar to cocoa powder but has no added sugar or additives. Also, it has a bold chocolate flavor. Essentially, it is the purest form of cocoa powder and has some amazing health benefits.
Honey vs Corn Syrup
For this recipe honey or corn syrup may be used with similar results from both. Just make sure that your honey is real or purchase organic corn syrup. Additionally, maple syrup is a wonderful third option.
7 Different Coating Options
Choose 1/4 cup- 1/2 cup of the following options to roll the rum ball cookies in:
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Sparkling Sugar (as seen in photos)
- Granulated Sugar
- Cacao Powder (as seen in photos)
- Chopped Pecans
- Powdered Sugar
How To Freeze
Once the rum balls are coated, place in an air tight container with a tight fitting lid. I recommend trying to use the Rum Balls within 4-6 weeks for best tasting cookies. However, they will last for up to 2 months if properly stored.
Can Rum Balls Get You Drunk?
Yes, however…you would have to eat a ton of them to become drunk. It is always best whenever consuming alcohol to practice safe alcohol consumption.
More Easy Christmas Desserts
My friend, if you are in a season where life is a little bit more chaotic than you like and you still want to celebrate Christmas in a festive way, then simplicity is what is needed. Dessert recipes like Broonie (aka the BEST darn Irish Gingerbread Cake EVER), Cream Cheese Pie and Peanut Butter Pie are absolutely perfect fits. Believe it or not, the super sophisticated Pots de Creme is actually very easy to make as long as you follow the tips. Also, never underestimate how Orange Cranberry Scones (although more of an intermediate level of baking) can make December mornings extremely bright.
Chocolate Rum Balls
- 1 cup crushed vanilla wafers (see Note 1)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp cacao powder *or cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp honey *or corn syrup
- 1/4 cup dark rum
Rum Ball Coating
- 1/4- 1/2 cup sparkling sugar, granulated sugar, chocolate sprinkles, coconut, cacoa powder, powdered sugar, chopped pecans *Choose one of the 6 options (see Note 3)
- Using a food processor or rolling pin method (see Note 2) crush wafer cookies.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine cookie crumbs, powdered sugar, pecans and cacao powder. Mix well.
- To the bowl add rum and honey. Stir until well combined. If dough is too wet, add an addittional 2-6 tbsps more of cookies crumbs. (See photo collage above.)
- Using hands, shape into 1 inch balls.
- Roll in one of the coating options above.
- Store in an airtight container.
- One 11 oz box of vanilla wafers is enough to make a double batch of Rum Balls with extra crumbs if dough is too moist. Chocolate wafer cookies may also be used for an extra deep chocolate flavor.
- To crush the wafer cookies either use a food processor or place cookies in a sealed plastic bag and roll a rolling pin over the top of the cookies until they reach a fine cookie crumb consistency.
- Depending on the coating option chosen, 1/4 to 1/2 cup will be needed for a single batch.