Frozen Watermelon Mojitos is the drink of summer! An adult-beverage speckled with mint, a hint of lime, watermelon simple syrup and incredibly refreshing icy watermelon. It is dangerously delicious!
WARNING: These Frozen Watermelon Mojitos are dangerously delicious!!! In fact I should have named them that because they are that good! So let me tell you…I hardly ever drink. I might have a glass or two of wine maybe once every two months, if even that. For some reason though, the heat of summer usually kicks my booty and I really enjoy having refreshing adult beverages more like once every two weeks. When my friend Erin suggested doing a watermelon mojito I decided to kick it up a notch and do them frozen instead. The result is a drink that tastes like liquid candy…but wait…even better than candy because the lime and mint make it sophisticated but the watermelon simple syrup…I don’t even have words. The frozen texture reminds me of a Slurpee, an adult version and about 10 notches above that childhood favorite. Needless to say, this will be the drink of summer around here. 😋
How to pick a ripe watermelon:
My methods for picking a ripe watermelon are in no way scientific but this methods has yet to fail me in choosing some absolutely gorgeous watermelons. Here are the key elements I look for:
- A watermelon that has a larger white or yellow spot on one side.
- A hollow sounding melon when you thump it.
- A melon that looks moderately beat up and has webbing. ( I know this one sounds a little nuts and I don’t believe I can do the explanation justice in writing. Expect a Facebook Live video soon explaining this.)
- The melon feels heavy for its size.
Tips about Frozen Watermelon Mojitos:
- The simple syrup portion of this recipe makes enough for several mojitos while the recipe itself makes 3, 1 cup servings.
- The amounts of rum, mint, lime juice and simple syrup may vary depending on your taste preferences.
- Using a fine mesh colander will help to separate the watermelon flesh from the liquid to quickly make watermelon juice for the simple syrup. (affiliate)
- These are my favorite ice cube trays. I love that they prevent the liquid from getting all over my freezer. (affiliate)
- Want to know something funny? I have literally had this blender for over 20 years and it is still working beautifully. (affiliate)
- 1 seedless watermelon
- juice of 2 limes
- 4 mint leaves
- 4 oz white rum *4 shots
- Simple Syrup *see note below
- 1 cup watermelon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ice cube trays *more if serving a larger crowd
- fine mesh strainer
- Cut half the melon into cubes and blend in blender. Pour mixture into ice cubes tray totaling 28 ice cubes. Freeze until solid, about 5 hours.
- Blend a small amount of watermelon and strain through fine mesh strainer to retrieve 1 cup of watermelon juice. In a small saucepan bring to a boil juice and sugar stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Place in refrigerator and chill while ice cubes freeze.
- Once ice cubes are solid, place all 28 cubes in blender with lime juice, mint, rum and ¼ cup of watermelon simple syrup. Blend well. Serve in chilled glasses and garnish with mint, lime slices and/or chunk of watermelon.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.*
For other fun and delicious summer drinks check these out: