Chicken and Chorizo Casserole is an extremely delicious main dish using easy Mexican Style Chorizo, red bell pepper, green olives and rice. A simple one pot meal that freezes well and is a family favorite.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
- Chicken Broth– Either homemade chicken stock/broth or store bought can be used.
- Green Olives– These green olives are very mild and are similar to a black olive. If unable to use Trader Joe’s version, substitute with black olives or give Lindsay Green Olives a try.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes
- Brown Onion– Also known as yellow onion.
- Salt– This salt is my favorite that I use as both a finishing salt and for cooking.
- Red Bell Pepper
- Basmati Rice- Basmati and short grain brown rice are my favorite types of rice to use for this recipe. However, Jasmine rice or long grain brown rice works well also. See recipe notes for more details.
- Mexican Style Chorizo– This adds in all kinds of flavor due to all the spices.
- Chicken Thighs– Bone in chicken thighs was used in this recipe. However, boneless skinless chicken breasts can be used also. See recipe notes for more details.
Homemade vs Store Bought Chorizo
Mexican Style Chorizo is an ingredient that adds an immense amount of flavor to soup, beans, pasta and rice dishes. However, one of the biggest challenges is trying to find store bought chorizo that tastes as amazing as Homemade Chorizo. But the good news is that making it homemade really is very simple. It is basically ground pork with spices. Additionally, Butcher Box delivers Heritage Ground Pork right to your doorstep. Because of this, I highly recommend skipping the store bought and making it homemade instead.
Butcher Box is a meat delivery service that delivers your choice of grass-fed beef, heritage pork, free-range chicken and wild caught salmon to your doorstep. Shipping is always free and you can cancel at anytime.
How To Make
- Cook chorizo with 1 tbsp of oil over medium/high heat. Once cooked remove from pan.
- To the chorizo drippings add another tbsp of oil. Sear chicken thighs skin side down on the same heat for about 4 minutes.
- Flip the thighs over and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and add onions and bell pepper. Sauté until sweating and slightly tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in garlic, oregano and salt.
- Add in rinsed rice and…
- olives and…
- tomatoes with juice.
- Stir well.
- Stir in cooked chorizo.
- Pour in juice.
- Submerge seared chicken thighs into rice mixture. Bake in a preheated 350℉ oven for approximately 1 hour or until moisture is absorbed and rice is tender.
Slow Cooker Instructions
The beauty of this dinner is that is can be easily cooked in the slow cooker. However, if using chicken thighs I highly recommend still following steps 1-4 (see the How To Make section above). Once the chorizo is cooked, the chicken seared and the veggies are sautéed, transfer all the ingredients into the slow cooker and follow one of these two cooking times;
- 2-3 hours on high or until liquid is absorbed, chicken is cooked through and rice is tender.
- 4-6 hours on low or until liquid is absorbed, chicken is cooked through and rice is tender.
To make this dish on the stovetop follow steps 1-12 (see the How To Make section above). However rather than baking, bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling cover and lower heat to lowest setting. Cook until chicken is cooked through, liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, approximately 50-70 minutes depending on type of rice used.
How To Freeze Chicken Chorizo Casserole
Not only does this Chicken and Rice dish make a delicious packed work lunch, it also freezes well. In fact, one of the secrets to cooking from scratch and not loosing your mind is to freeze leftovers in single portions using containers like these. Having individual portions frozen makes a world a difference. Dinner becomes extremely simple on busy nights and it allows people to choose what meal sounds best once you have a few choices on hand.
What To Serve With Chicken and Chorizo Casserole
One of the best side dishes for this casserole is a simple crisp salad using a delicious homemade dressing such as Homemade Ranch, Creamy Lemon Tahini Dressing or my favorite Simple Herbed Lemon Vinaigrette. However, if speciality salads are more of your cup of tea than you will love Strawberry Walnut Salad, Rocket Pear Salad or Green Bean and Tomato Salad.
Chicken and Chorizo Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Mexican style chorizo
- 2 lbs bone in chicken thighs (with skin) *see Note 2 below for boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups Basmati rice *rinsed and drained well
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced brown onion *about 1 med onion
- 1 lg red bell pepper *diced
- 2 lg garlic cloves *crushed or chopped
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 6 oz can green olives
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes *with juice
- Preheat oven to 350℉.Heat a 13 inch or larger cast iron skillet or oven safe stainless steel frying pan over medium high heat with 1 tbsp oil. Add chorizo and cook breaking apart the meat with a spatula. Once chorizo is cooked fully (about 10 mins) remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- To the chorizo drippings add the remaining tbsp of oil. Sear chicken thighs skin side down over the same heat, about 4 mins.
- Flip thighs and continue searing for an additional 3 mins. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To the chicken and chorizo drippings add the diced onion and bell pepper. Sauté until sweating and slightly tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- To the veggies add in garlic, oregano, salt, rice, olives, tomatoes and cooked chorizo. Stir well.
- Pour in chicken broth and submerge in chicken thighs, spread evenly in pan.
- Carefully transfer pan to oven. Bake uncovered for 50-70 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.