Loaded with flavor, this Sweet Potato and Chorizo Soup is a perfect healthy dinner for chilly nights. Very easy to make and completely satisfying with chorizo, chipotle and garlic.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
If there is one food that always makes me feel amazing after eating it, hands down it is sweet potatoes. Take a look deeper into Sweet potatoes and it is no wonder because they are loaded with nutritional benefits.
Also, sweet potatoes are so versatile.
In addittion to this Sweet Potato and Chorizo Soup, I adore Chicken Sweet Potato Curry and Sweet Potato Cakes during the Fall and Winter. If I am looking for a fun Friday night recipe that is when I lean towards Homemade Sweet Potato Chips and Sweet Potato Taco Stacks. Or to keep things really simple, a baked sweet potato along side Easy Broiled Pork Chops is a complete match made in heaven.
Regardless how I eat sweet potatoes, I always feel like a million bucks afterwards.
How To Make Sweet Potato and Chorizo Soup
- Cook chorizo and remove from pot.
- Sauté onion in chorizo drippings.
- Add spices and garlic to onions and sauté an additional minute.
- Add potatoes and broth.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and then simmer for 30 mins.
- Add Lime juice and then blend until smooth.
- Add cooked chorizo back in and stir well.
- Simmer with chorizo for a few minutes.
Spiciness Levels of Sweet Potato Soup
The addittion of chipotle powder adds a delicious smoky and spicy undertone. However, to keep the spice levels on the mild side use 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle powder. Additionally, 1 teaspoon will make a medium heat and 1 1/2- 2 teaspoons will make for a hot heat. Heat levels can also be adjusted within the recipe for Homemade Chorizo. See section directly below.
Homemade vs Store Bought Chorizo
Homemade Chorizo is so extremely easy to make and tastes far superior to any store bought chorizo that I have found. Also, I love being able to use quality ingredients. However, a quality store bought chorizo may be used in this recipe and will still yield great results. Just remember to take it out of its casings before frying.
Best Way To Blend
In complete honesty, I would be lost without my Immersion Blender during the colder months. Not only is this a phenomenal tool for whisking and whipping, it also is the easiest way to blend hot soups and gravies. Also, I use this blender all the time in making refried beans for Freezer Burritos. Just like the name suggests, the blending arm immerses into the soup. With a press of a button and about 3 minutes this sweet potato soup has a beautiful smooth texture.
Topping Options For Sweet Potato and Chorizo Soup
Here are a few ideas for toppings/garnish for this healthy soup:
- Roasted Red Pepper Strips
- Toasted Pepitas (aka pumpkin seeds)
- Sour Cream
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Black Beans
- Tortilla Chips
- Diced Green Onions
- Diced Jalapeño
- Queso Fresco
- Diced Avocado
Sweet Potato and Chorizo Soup
- 2 tbsp Avocado or olive oil
- 1/2 batch Homemade Chorizo *or 1 lb store bought
- 1 med brown onion *diced
- 3 lg sweet potatoes *approximately 9 cups peeled and diced
- 5 cloves garlic *crushed or minced
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 lg limes juiced *about 1/2 cup
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp powdered chipotle for mild heat
- 6 cups chicken broth
- chopped cilantro
- roasted red peppers
- toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- sour cream
- Peel sweet potatoes, dice into small chunks. Set Aside
- Dice onion and prepare garlic. Set aside.
- Place a dutch oven or stock pot over med-med/high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil and chorizo. Break apart meat with spatula while cooking. Once meat is cooked remove from pan and refrigerate until needed.
- To the same pan add remaining oil add diced onion. Sauté until for 3-4 mins. Add coriander, cumin, chipotle and garlic towards the end of sautéing. Add in a small amount of broth to deglaze the pan and stir well.
- Add diced potatoes and remaining chicken broth to onion mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat and then lower to a simmer. Cook covered until potatoes are tender, about 30 mins.
- Stir in lime juice and process with an immersion blender or regular blender until smooth.
- Over same heat add cooked chorizo to soup and warm until for a few mins.
- Garnish with favorite toppings.