Sweet Potato Cakes recipe is a fun twist off of Sweet Potato Latkes. Made with feta, dill and smoked paprika, these are delicious for breakfast or dinner. Top with sour cream and chives for a delicious Fall treat.
Sweet Potato Cakes
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
This week has been an extremely emotionally exhausting week for reasons I won’t bother you with.
I have cried a lot!
Today though, is a better day.
There is a chill in the air here in San Diego at night and and the sun is shining during the day.
I am counting my blessings and just appreciating all that is good.
The one thing I noticed after all the turmoil of this week, I am craving nutritious whole foods like crazy.
This is not normal for me. After a hard week I usually just want comfort food.
After all is said and done one of the many lessons learned this week, never under estimate the power of a good cry and eating wholesome foods.
How To Make Easy Sweet Potato Cakes (aka Sweet Potato Patties)
- Peel, grate and squeeze excess moisture from sweet potatoes.
- Mix sweet potato gratings with egg, flour, feta, garlic, green onions and spices.
- Form into patties using 1/4 cup measuring cup.
- Heat oil in cast iron frying pan for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Fry Sweet Potato Patties for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Cast Iron Frying Pan– Cast Iron makes for a more even heating, making it easier to manage ideal temperatures without a lot of hassle.
- Vegetable Peeler– This is my favorite easy to use veggie peeler with one of the most comfortable handles.
- Grater– Old fashioned, super affordable with easy clean up for grating the sweet potatoes.
- Tightly Woven Towels– Perfect for squeezing excess moisture from grated sweet potatoes.
- Stainless Steel Turner– Ideal for turning the Sweet Potato Cakes with ease.
Spicy Sweet Potato Patties
To make these Sweet Potato Cakes on the spicy side add either cayenne pepper, diced jalapeño pepper with the seeds or just a touch of this Ghost Pepper Powder. The amounts of each will depend on the heat level desired.
Pro Tip: For anyone desiring a mild amount of heat do not use the ghost pepper powder and use only 1/4-1/2 tsp of cayenne or 1 small jalapeño diced with a portion of the seeds removed.
Sweet Potato Nutrition
Sweet potatoes are a root vegetable that not only taste amazing but are also packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. In addition, they hold a myriad of health benefits such as enhancing brain function, enriching immunity, stabilizing blood sugar and supporting vision health.
What To Serve With Sweet Potato Cakes
- Eggs cooked to your choosing. I personally love eating these with over easy eggs.
- Grilled Rosemary Lamb Chops
- Balsamic Grilled Brussel Sprouts
- Dry Rubbed Chicken
- Easy Broiled Pork Chops
- Rocket Pear Salad
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- Roasted Zucchini Slices
- Crispy Baked Pork Chops
More Delicious Fall Recipes
Sweet Potato Cakes
Crispy, sweet and savory, these Sweet Potato Cakes (aka Sweet Potato Patties or Sweet Potato Hash Browns) are a fun twist on Sweet Potato Latkes. They are delicious for breakfast or dinner with a dollop of sour cream and fresh cut chives.
- 1/2 cup high heat oil *avocado oil was used for this recipe
- 2 lg sweet potatos *peeled and grated, about 6 cups
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic *crushed, about 2 tsp
- 2 stalks green onions *diced
- 4 oz feta *crumbled
- 1 lg egg
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2/3 cup flour
- sour cream and diced chives as a garnish
Peel and grate sweet potatoes. Place grated sweet potatoes in a dish cloth and sqeeze as much excess moisture out as possible. Place sweet potato gratings into a medium sized mixing bowl.
Add all the ingredients with the exception of the oil to the sweet potatoes and mix well.
Add oil to cast iron frying pan and heat over medium heat for approximatley 5 mins to achieve 350℉.
Using 1/4 cup measuring cup measure sweet potato mixture into hands and form into patty. Add to heated frying pan and cook for 2-3 mins per side.
Place fried patties on a papper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil. Serve immediately and garnish with sour cream and freshly diced chives.
*Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.
- Heating the frying pan with oil over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes will bring the pan to the ideal temperature of 350℉.
- Additional oil may be needed for frying the last of the patties.
- Greek yogurt can be substituted for sour cream.