Savory Whipped Sweet Potatoes is a simple side dish with a big impact. The addition of finely grated Pecorino Romano adds rich and salty undertones, creating a delicious contrast to the sweetness of the potatoes. This combination, enhanced by garlic and smoked paprika, elevates simplicity to sophistication. Satisfying and remarkably easy to prepare, this recipe is a delightful addition to any meal.
This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. Rest assured though, it is never at any additional cost to you.
Perfect Thanksgiving Side Dish for Savory Lovers
Marshmallow-topped sweet potatoes is a common association with Thanksgiving for many people. However, for those who appreciate savory side dishes, the thought of this sugary combination is not appealing at all. Savory food lovers want to enjoy the rich, complex flavors of dishes. For them, the appeal lies in the balance of savory notes, not overly sweet concoctions.
That is where this Whipped Sweet Potatoes dish shines. Because of the Pecorino Romano, garlic and smoked paprika, this side dish elevates the humble sweet potato to a gourmet experience. Savory food lovers will be delighted.
Tips for Making Ahead
Planning your meal in advance and need more time to focus on other aspects of your meal? You can easily prepare this dish ahead of time for an stress-free experience on the big day. To do so, follow these simple steps:
- Prepare Recipe– Prepare recipe following instructions below.
- Cool Completely– Let the whipped sweet potatoes cool down to room temperature. Avoid covering them while warm to prevent condensation, which can make the dish watery.
- Refrigerate Properly– Transfer the cooled sweet potatoes into an airtight container and refrigerate. They can be stored for up to two days before serving.
- Reheat with Care– When you’re ready to serve, transfer the prepared dish to a glass casserole dish with a lid. Bake for approximately 30 minutes at 350℉, remembering to stir the potatoes halfway through the baking time to ensure even heating.
In case oven space is limited, you can reheat in the microwave using the same glass casserole dish. Heat the potatoes on power level 8 (medium-high reheat setting) in the microwave for 6 minutes. If necessary, add additional time in short increments until the sweet potatoes reach the desired temperature.
- Vegetable Peeler
- Fine Shred Cheese Grater
- Cutting Board
- Small Sauce Pan
- Hand Held Mixer
- 2 1/2 quart Casserole Dish with lid
- Sweet Potatoes– The natural sweetness of sweet potatoes provides a delicious contrast to the salty richness of Pecorino Romano. Make sure to choose firm and unblemished sweet potatoes.
- Olive Oil– The oil helps coat the sweet potato chunks, preventing them from drying out during baking. Additionally, olive oil adds a rich, fruity flavor to the sweet potatoes, enhancing their overall taste and depth.
- Butter– Butter adds a creamy texture and rich flavor to the savory whipped sweet potatoes, enhancing their indulgent appeal.
- Smoked Paprika– This spice adds a delightful and robust smokey flavor with a subtle sweetness. Use regular smoked paprika for a wide array of taste buds and hot smoked paprika for those who like to spicy food.
- Garlic Powder– Adds a mild garlic essence. Onion powder may be substituted for anyone who is not a fan of garlic.
- Salt and Pepper– Salt enhances the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes and pepper adds a subtle heat.
- Pecorino Romano– Finely grated Pecorino Romano brings a salty richness to the dish, enhancing the savory profile.
How To Make
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Dice sweet potatoes; place in casserole dish with lid. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper and bake 50-55 mins.
- Melt butter with paprika and garlic. Mix with baked sweet potatoes.
- Whip potatoes, add cheese and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with drizzle of oil, sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- Spicy Twist– Add a pinch of ground chipotle pepper, adobo sauce or hot smoked paprika for a smoky, spicy kick. Garnish with sliced green onions for a fresh contrast.
- Maple Infused– Replace olive oil with a drizzle of maple syrup before baking. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and toasted pecans for a delightful autumn flavor.
- Herb Infused– Mix in a teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme, rosemary, or sage with the butter and paprika for a fragrant, herby twist. Finish with a sprinkle of chopped chives.
- Bacon and Goat Cheese– Fold in crispy bacon bits and crumbled goat cheese for a delightful combination of salty and creamy flavors. Top with extra goat cheese crumbles and a sprinkle of chopped fresh chives for a gourmet touch.
- Mediterranean Inspired– Infuse the dish with the bold flavors of chopped Kalamata olives, fragrant fresh oregano, and fresh thyme. Crumble tangy feta cheese over the top, and finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil for an authentic Mediterranean experience.
- Curry and Coconut Adventure– Infuse the butter with curry powder before mixing. Add a tablespoon of coconut milk and garnish with toasted coconut flakes and fresh cilantro for a tropical, exotic twist.
Storage and Shelf Life
Savory Whipped Sweet Potatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Avoid freezing, as it can alter the consistency. Before serving leftovers, taste and adjust seasoning as flavors may mellow over time.
What to Serve with Savory Whipped Sweet Potatoes
For a Thanksgiving feast serve this with Brined Turkey, Arugula Pear Salad, Italian Sautéed Baby Spinach, Creamy Mac and Cheese, Cornbread and Red Skin Mashed Potatoes. Also, this side dish pairs beautifully with Easy Broiled Pork Chops, Country Style Ribs In The Oven, Bacon Wrapped Chicken, Oven Roasted Tri-Tip or Ribeye Steak.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Whipped Sweet Potatoes need to be thickened?
When cooked, sweet potatoes naturally develop a creamy texture, making them effortless to mash or whip without requiring additional thickeners.
How do I reheat this side dish when making ahead?
Reheat in a glass casserole dish with a lid at 350℉ for approximately 30 minutes, making sure to stir halfway through.
Another option, heat the potatoes covered in a microwave safe dish on power level 8 (medium-high reheat setting) in the microwave for 6 minutes. If necessary, add additional time in short increments until the sweet potatoes reach the desired temperature.
Can these Whipped Sweet Potatoes be made vegan?
Savory Whipped Sweet potatoes can be made vegan by using plant-based butter and non-dairy cheese.
More Delicious Sweet Potato Recipes
Savory Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes *about 4 medium, see Note #1 below
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano *finely grated, see Note #2 below
- chopped parsley for garnish
- salt and pepper *to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper)
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Wash, peel, and dice sweet potatoes into large chunks; place them in a 2 1/2 quart glass casserole dish with a lid. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender and slightly caramelized.
- Meanwhile, grate cheese and refrigerate until needed.
- Just before removing potatoes from the oven, melt butter in a saucepan over low heat; add paprika and garlic powder, allowing spices to bloom.
- Add the butter and spices to sweet potatoes. Use a hand mixer or immersion blender to whip the potatoes until mostly broken. Incorporate cheese until desired consistency is achieved.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh chopped parsley before serving.